Had a chance to try a Bimmer

If you took that literally, then DOS wasn't actually much better than Windoze. DOS was simpler so had less obvious problems, but it still had problems thanks to Microsoft, as usual, simply buying it off someone else and butching it. :-\

Reply to
Your Name

It will be a great thing for people that cannot drive. I can see it being made mandatory for certain people.

dsi1

I'm wondering about a kid who goes to take their road test for their very first drivers license in a car with the "electronic parallel park" feature that I've seen on TV commercials.

Can they use the feature? What if they don't know how to turn it off? CAN you turn it off?

GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

So far you have to actually turn the feature on for it to take over control.

Personally I don't even bother with parallel parking (and it wasn't part of my driving test), unless it's an easy drive straight in forwards sport. having to back into a tiny parallel is a pointless waste of time (especially on a buy road) ... it's FAR easier to simply find somewhere more sensible to park, even if it means wlaking further. :-)

Reply to
Your Name

"People who cannot drive" ... that'll be 95% of the drivers out there then. ;-)

Reply to
Your Name

Beats me. My guess is that driving tests in the future will be a snap or not even required. Heck, maybe we won't need licenses. That would be OK with me.

Reply to
dsi1

More like 99.99%.

Of course, everybody thinks they're in the 00.01%. :-)

Reply to
dsi1

John McGaw

Reply to
clare

Yes, that's how my girlfriend from Köln says it.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Of course many people call them "Flash gits" or "Rich sods" or similar. ;-)

Reply to
Your Name

It might reduce congestion in a roundabout way, by letting the cars cooperatively negotiate between themselves when each one will go through intersections, and stuff. Also a computerized car can come to a stop pretty close to the car in front, using onboard sonar or radar. So close that their bumpers touch, but without bumping.

Yousuf Khan

Reply to
Yousuf Khan

seems funny that you mentioned it. recently a huge line queued up at the border pass where navigation system took them from our neighbour country. all the idiots were in "shortest route" not "quickest route" mode I guess

that or the local map maker is a moron

anyhow, I'm totally with you on your a moron in a position of power lamentation rant

Reply to
AD

I thought that's what happens when you drive a Jaguar

Reply to
clare

Something like that does happen every time you drive any old car. :-)

Unfortunately the new Jaguars are all rubbish, so you'll never catch me driving one - whoever thought of making their "sports"cars silly automatics should be fed to hungry jaguars in the zoo. :-(

At least Subaru / Toyota didn't cripple the BRZ / 86 by making it only available as a silly automatic or paddle-shift garbage.

Reply to
Your Name

I drive "old" cars al the time and generally have less problems than my friends have with their new cars. My Pickup has 0ver 310,000km on it and is almost 17 years old - never let me down. Wife's Taurus is almost 12 years old - only problem so far is a lazy O2 sensor that turns the light on occaisionally.

And the older Jags were so undependable it didn't matter what transmission they had half the time. They WERE fu to drive when they ran - - - - .

Reply to
clare

Yep, judging by the number of recalls recently, it looks like companies (and not just car manufacturers) are rushing new models out without fully checking and designing them properly. :-(

May car is about 19 years old, although "only" done about 180,000km, and the only real problem (other than the usual servicing replacements and battery and tyre replacements) is a few weeks ago it needed a new starter motor.

The British criminals used to love one of the old models Jaguars because they had so much power and speed, so they could easily out-run the police cars.

Reply to
Your Name

Now that you mentioned it I just _love_ the practical joke mazda plays on rx-8 buyers: you can have a stick with an LSD on the rear (driven) axle OR you could have automatic "for the same amount of money". Which would effectively strip LSD off the car (I don't think it's even available for extra pay: apparently the rotary can exert significant amount of torque (don't laugh) to be a problem to the slushbox in the presence of lsd)

Reply to
AD

[nerd mode on] I would not trade NT/2000/XP for DOS. You might not remember but one had to reboot many times a day when the program directly accessing hw (and which one did not) misbehaved. The problem was compounded by slow bootup on PCs with SCSI controllers. [nerd mode off]
Reply to
AD

Nothing's changed in that respect ... you stil have to reboot Windows because it's done something stupid.

One person I know can't even shutdown their Windows XP computer at work at the moment. You choose Shutdown or Log off and it does absolutely nothing ... great for a car: "I've turned the key off but the engine still doesn't stop."

Due to the fact that that some of the big software companies lazily used (and probably still do) Microsoft libraries when writing cross-platform software in the past, Microsoft's uselessness could even crash a Mac when using Adobe software. :-(

Slow booting wasn't really due to SCSI (although at taht time it would have been early version of it), but also due to slow drives.

Reply to
Your Name