PCV on 1990 Loyale

Hi Where is the pcv on a 1990 Loyale. I pulled the hose off the passenger side valve cover. No pcv valve there. There is also a hose coming off the drivers side valve cover.Is that where the pcv valve is?

Reply to
issjoe

Follw the hose to intake manifold.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

It's the steel nub welded to the intake after many years. If it has a problem, remove the bigger problem, its called an egr valve. the spring, along with your life, comes back to strength once egr is plugged/removed, birds start singing, and the sun comes out. Sometimes the clock mysteriously comes back on, from whence it left off.....

Happy subaroo->> Hi Where is the pcv on a 1990 Loyale. I pulled the hose off the

Reply to
bg

And where is the EGR valve?

Reply to
issjoe

Hi,

As Tony mentioned, follow the hoses up from the valve covers to a T-style junction that leads to the back of the intake manifold. This will be roughly just right of center of the engine (as you're looking from front of car.) The PCV valve is a screw in unit w/ a rubber hose (about 1/2" or 12-13mm) clipped on.

Now look to your left (again, as viewed from front of car toward back) and on the back of the intake manifold you'll see a piece that's bolted on to the back of the manifold (two bolts IIRC) that has a metal pipe attached (the pipe might have some heat shield material over it) and probably a small (probably around 1/8"-3/16" or 3-5mm) vacuum line attached. This will be your EGR valve.

This is from memory, so if it isn't clear (or correct?), let us know and I'll go look at the car directly.

Rick C

Reply to
Rick Courtright

Thank you for such a good description. I wish my manual was that understandable.

Reply to
issjoe

Hmmm, Owners manual wont' but shop manual will.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Disconnect the EGR hose so your engine will ping under load, or the timing will be retarded due to pinging, or your engine will run hot. EGR does not reburn exhaust gas. EGR adds a small amount of exhaust gas to lower the combustion chamber burn temperature. There are better ways to lower the burn temperature to reduce pinging and NOx emissions, but until you implement those methods you probably should leave the EGR alone or make sure the passages are clear and the gasket is sealing.

Reply to
willardrentals