Re: New tires from TireRack-Will dealer be offended?

And I do...where is this place? This is the first I've heard of it.

-John O

Reply to
John O

I would suggest that you begin by asking the person who can answer this question, your dealer. No amount of experience you may hear on this group can tell what will happen with YOUR dealer. If you have reason to doubt his willingness to do this, I'd go with that gut feeling and look elsewhere. If you think he is pretty straight with you, ask him up front if he can do the job for you with the same care he gives any other business you bring him. That will help him remember the fact that you have and will bring him business. If you need to look elsewhere, be up front with them too. I would go to whomever you might consider doing the work and first of all, give them an opportunity to match the deal. I did this, and my tire dealer didn't feel he could quite match it, but he came close enough to satisfy me. I'm willing to pay him more because it is certainly a little less hassle, plus it buys me an ally in any future tire issues and possibly other things he does, like alignments, muffler work, etc, whatever may apply. In my case, I told him exactly what I appreciated about TireRack (i.e. the reviews by other buyers, etc.) He is actually an approved TireRack dealer, so I could have drop shipped to him and paid him only the install charges, but I chose to pay his higher price offer and let him make a bit on the tires as well. It was still a good deal for me, and helps him stay in business too. None of this applies to _outrageous_ priced merchandise or labor. Any business that is gouging is not going to get my business anyway, and I'll be glad when they are out of business. They only inflate the whole price-picture anyway.

Reply to
D H

Uh - he did say South Bend, Indiana. :-)

They also have warehouses in Shreveport, LA and Sparks, NV. They say pick-up is OK, but they don't have much service. I guess they mostly just do mounting for shipment - perhaps they don't have car lifts?

Reply to
y_p_w

Right. But SB is more than a couple traffic lights plus Notre Dame. :-) FWIW, it's here:

-John O

Reply to
John O

There's a recurrent theme in the answers you've received: Ask 'em first.

If they have a problem, go get your tires mounted elsewhere. It's a simple concept. Rick

Reply to
Rick Courtright

It's on the west side, right off of 90. If you know where Woodwind and Brasswind is, it's right across the tollway from them. If you drive out of town on 90 towards Chicago, It's on the South side of 90. It's roughly the size of Notre Dame, but without the shiny gold dome.... ;-P

I can't remember the exact exit -- I just know to turn off right after I see it.

The have bays for about a dozen cars -- no lifts, but they do use floor jacks. They're happy to mount, balance, and rotate 'em for you while you wait.

pab

Reply to
Paul Braun

No shit, Sherlock.

Reply to
RankAndFile

We go there all the time...I have a couple young musicians in the family. OK, I've seen that building, driven down that highway a zillion times. Thanks!

-John O

Reply to
John O

Look up tire racks installers in your area, there are generally several tire or general auto places who would be more than happy to mount tires for you, the dealer included (as the major auto companies to a one do not make their own tires), though the dealer may not be the cheapest.

8 of the15 recommended installers listed in my area are specificly *tire* dealers, the others general auto repair facilities/garages. They're probably still happy to have your business and to service your balancing, alignment, brake and suspension needs down the road too, even though you bought the rubber from TireRack

Reply to
The Masked Marvel

Generally they UPS the tires to you or to your local installer directly, on your behalf.

Reply to
The Masked Marvel