Would this have happened in a Subaru?

What really happened here? Would AWD have prevented this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5uTxoBGBc4

Basia

On 7/2/2012 5:46 AM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Was that a blown tire? But why are all those other cars keep passing like nothing happened?

At full screen, an elongated object on the road is visible. It must have caused a blown tire.
I wonder how a Subaru permanent AWD would have handled this. Would a Subaru be able to continue straight, or at least not swerve so badly?
Basia
ps. I think these are Koreans. They are kind of, slowing down, probably to assess the situation. Most likely not stopping as the logically conclude that professional help is needed (?).

At full screen, an elongated object on the road is visible. It must have caused a blown tire.
I wonder how a Subaru permanent AWD would have handled this. Would a Subaru be able to continue straight, or at least not swerve so badly?
Basia
ps. I think these are Koreans. They are kind of, slowing down, probably to assess the situation. Most likely not stopping as the logically conclude that professional help is needed (?).

No. At highway speeds, any car is vulnerable to this sort of unfortunate event (with low probability). On a given vehicle, bigger wheels and better driver are the only important factors.
On Jul 3, 9:48pm, snipped-for-privacy@no.email.thankstospam.net (DK) wrote:

One would think permanent AWD, stability control, traction control, all should do at least something.
You think bigger wheels are helpful? Bigger wheels in the absolute, or just lower profile tires?
I know for certain that during a blowout one is supposed to accelerate slightly while maintaining direction. It works!
I had a blow out a few years ago while driving an old Chevy Corsica FWD, at around 65-70 mph (front left side tire blew). I tapped slightly on the accelerator, and the whole thing was fairly uneventful. Worst part was when I was coming to a stop the tire slipped from the rim, actually shifted on the rim perpendicularly, so the last 20 yards were real bumpy and almost destroyed the rim.
Basia

...and very briefly, I forgot to add.
Basia

On 7/3/2012 9:48 PM, DK wrote:

The driver also may not have been holding the wheel firmly with two hands when the blowout happened. Like when reaching for the radio button or a Kleenex with one hand, or something like that.

The really terrible thing is cars passing by with not a single one stopping to help. Was this in China?
On 02/07/2012 8:46 AM, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

There was debris on the road that fell and punctured someone's tire. AWD would not have helped that at all, it's a steering related problem, and AWD doesn't help steering at all.
    Yousuf Khan

That's just pure logic, a logical distinction between AWD and steering, it may be correct in reality, but I hear that there is a difference between a front tire blowout in a FWD car and front tire blowout in a RWD car.
AWD I think would have made the blowout mimic to some extent a RWD front tire blowout, which is supposedly less dangerous than FWD (?)
I am assuming the car on video is FWD.
Well, anyway I hope something like this never happens to anyone, AWD or not. Keep those hands on the steering wheel everybody, not your cell phones, coffee cups etc.
Basia

Yeah, don't steer like this knucklehead: http://www.denverpost.com/environment/ci_20926269/electric-vehicle-drivers-colorado-get-charge-out-new . That is so wrong!
On Thu, 5 Jul 2012 15:55:42 UTC, Ben Jammin wrote:

http://www.denverpost.com/environment/ci_20926269/electric-vehicle-drivers-colorado-get-charge-out-new .

Yes. Even if he's only maneuvering in a parking lot it's pretty bad.
--
John Varela