99 Malibu sound coming from right front of car

My wife's Malibu exhibits an occasional "whine" coming from the right front while driving. Seems to come on mostly when turning right but has done it just going straight. Does not increase or decrease with engine speed. I cant reproduce the sound when I want to under the hood.

My guess is a power steering or alternator noise but it sounds fine sitting still and only occassionally going down the read.

How can i diagnose this? Any helo is appreciated!

Reply to
Don

Could be a belt slipping occasionally. I don't keep up with configurations of many of these models...is this a front wheel drive? If so, the belts are probably on the right side.

Reply to
HLS

This may sound odd, but check your brakes.

My 2000 presented similar symptoms and I spent a lot of time and effort trying to track it down - power steering pump, rack, alternator, water pump, possessed by demons. Eventually, I gave up and took it in. Imagine my embarrassment when it turned out to be simply a worn pad. It sure didn't sound like a pad to me, it sounded exactly like what you are describing. But never the less, it was indeed a worn brake pad.

Check it out.

W.

Reply to
Wes Whitlock

Wheel bearing ????

Reply to
rick

I'll 2nd this, it's your Brakes!

Reply to
Tera News

Real good possibility that it is a 'tattletale' pad wear indicator.

Reply to
HLS

Reply to
Jerry

Thats what is was on mine. Every time I turned LEFT it made that noise. It turned out my caliper on the left side locked up and took out my pads to the wear indictors.

Reply to
Tera News

DITTO (only mine was over on the right).

W.

Reply to
Wes Whitlock