Got a question for someone who lnow about auto tires out there..

"Transverse leaf spring" is somewhat misleading, since the spring is held in place in the center, and what happens on one side does not affect the other. Also with a transverse spring, the spring is not acting like a control arm (as I recall). Most of what is 'wrong' with a leaf-spring-per-side arrangement doesn't exist for a transverse-leaf arrangement. That's the part he's missing, I think.

Dave

Reply to
spamTHISbrp

Yes indeed - the Mustangs were very much like the Explorer, including the I-beam front suspension and high center of gravity, and overloaded tires.

God - why do I waste my time on these newsgroups ? They only exist for people to make stuff up and spout it to other idiots like me.

Reply to
voter

Well, that's common and reasonably correct usage of the term actually. Where the transverse mounted spring is connected to the body isn't explicitly stated, but center mounting is assumed in most automotive applications. Axle design will usually determine whether one wheel is independent or dependent on the other.

In fact Henry used a center mounted transverse spring in the T, but the solid axle caused one side to be affected by the other.

Reply to
John S.

DEAD-ON is right - I'm an idiot for wasting time jaw'ing with nit wits.

Reply to
voter