Hood Release Removal?

I'm trying to install a remote starter/keyless entry on my '93 Mitsubishi Eclipse (same body style as the 90-94 Eagle Talon and Plymouth Laser) and need to take the kick panel off. I can't figure out how to remove the hood release from the panel. I have taken off the two screws and pulled it down, but the wire is the problem. I know this has to be simple, but any help is appreciated. Thanks, Brad

Reply to
Brad Ferguson

Hi, Brad. The system you are attempting to install is not for a mechanically/electrically inexperienced diy'er. Please take my advice: if the hood release is giving you such trouble, it would possibly be cheaper in the long run to hire the remote system installed by an experienced installer. Sincerely, sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi2

I'm having someone more experienced help me out, but I figured I could start on it. I've done some basic car wiring before. It seems like it's mostly all finding the right wire coming from the ignition, then splicing and adding on the wire for the remote starter system. I think it would be over my head going with Tach mode, but Tachless seems like I could at least get started. But the 5 minutes I messed with it, I couldn't get that hood release off. Thanks, Brad

Reply to
Brad Ferguson

Great attitude, Brad. I've spent half my 59 years under a car-hood or underneath a car(EXAGGERATING A TAD). About the only task that defeated me was installing a remote starter on my '94 Toyota pickup about 1.5 years ago. Admittedly, the kit was a fit 'em all I ordered from eBay. Instructions seemed simple enough at 1st, but as I got into "pre-labeling" the wires to use, I inadvertently pulled loose an 'attached' wire inside the steering column. Needless to say, I couldn't trace down the problem, as it now refuses to start. Took it to the 3rd best electrical troubleshooter in my town of 60,000, and 2.5 weeks later, he asked me to take it somewhere else, as it had defeated him--no charge(Paid him anyway, forced him to take it). Then took it to The Best in our area, and he found the wire pulled loose in the st. column--said it quite possibly had not been securely attached in its connector from the factory--trying to make me feel better?!. In summation, after buying an unneeded (used) computer, a coil-unit(think it included an igniter??), which were non-returnable to the salvage yards, and paying the 2 repairmen, I ended up spending about $1000-$1200--including a new remote door-lock kit. (The 'fixer' detests these aftermarkets and 1st thing he does on so-equipped vehicles is to remove and trash them to put car back stock.) BTW: the 2 unneeded parts I bought were suggested by the

1st mechanic, not the guy who is The Best. No, I'm not at all proud of being defeated by such a simple-looking device. Maybe if I had bought one with instructions for ONLY the vehicle I was putting it on, the outcome would've been better. For instance, rather than saying 'find a wire that is +12v ONLY when ign. sw. is turned to "ON" position AND gear lever is in "PARK"'; it might, alternatively, have said 'find the 14-gauge orange wire in the harness leading to the neutral safety switch from the rear of the fusebox'. Such would/could have made such a difference! Hope yours is designed and instructed for a precise make/model/type/series/etc. If so, disregard my negative advice. Otherwise, IMHO, you'd be better to let an experienced installer do the job--even then, he might buck at the job. GET INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE PARTICULAR APPLICATION!!! So happy you did not take my advice as an insult--good, open mind on your part! Also, I never did get it installed--still got it & for sale at a bargain! Fits ALL cars! Luck to the buyer/installer! HTH & good luck. sdlomi
Reply to
sdlomi2

After reading that I might not attempt to start working on it by myself. It's a Bulldog Security system, so I suppose a fairly decent brand and system. It came with a video which isn't too much help, it's basically a guy that's reading the instruction manual. I did go to the website and found a wiring chart which lists all the wires that I'll need to install it, what color they are, and their location (most from the ignition harness). Would this be sufficient? I will make sure that my help and I are both careful and try not to pull any wires out, although I'm sure it's easier said than done and we wouldn't even know if we did it. This system I also found on Ebay, but in brand new condition for only $40. I thought although it would be a hard project that it could be done without spending over $100 on installation. Makes you wish you had a refund available :-) I may still attempt to install it and hope things go smoothly. Thank you for your help, Brad

Instructions

Reply to
Brad Ferguson

That chart should be a lifesaver! Good luck, sdlomi

Reply to
sdlomi2