New concept tires change color when it is time for a new set of tires.

You're probably right.

Shouldn't have mentioned the braking, so good for you. I've hydoplaned a few times at speed when hitting piled up water. Much more dangerous I think than any blowout I've had. Had maybe 5 blowouts, all at speeds of 65-70. The only ones that seriously affected control were rear tires on RWD. Maybe a couple of them. Still had more control than when hydroplaning, which affords very little control. Never had a blowout on a FWD. This is my experience with my cars, and I don't speak for anybody else. Haven't had a blowout in at least 2 decades. I only mentioned the stop sign sliding because I've eliminated hydroplaning for some years by keeping good rubber and slowing down when conditions merit. But it's a similar "loss of steering" feeling. A blowout never gave me a loss of steering scare.

No, I'm the guy people bitch about coasting to a stoplight, preventing them from getting to the left turn lane in time.

Reply to
Vic Smith

if you just get a flat on the freeway, it's really not a big deal. it's certainly less dramatic than the shock of aquaplaning that apparently wakes some people up from the somnambulent state in which they usually drive.

but if you're on a mountain road, or there's turning and braking involved, a sudden blow-out is definitely something that has the potential to ruin your day. not least because you can't anticipate it.

Reply to
jim beam