proper use of electric overdrive

Just got a used Nissan with a 3-speed automatic gearbox with electric overdrive. The overdrive is engaged by a small button on the gear stick.

It seems to me that by leaving the overdrive on it effectively just changes the gearbox to a 4-speed automatic ex. motor braking. Is that correct? Any reason why I shouldn't just leave it on? It doesn't seem to affect 1 and 2 gear anyway and only kicks in when easing the gas in

3rd.
Reply to
Rene Madsen

Actually you have four speed automatic with a button on the stick that selects "3". When the O/D light is on, you will notice that it actually says "O/D OFF". Nissan was just too cheap to put 1,2,3,4 on the stick (ala Honda), so they added the little button if you want to downshift it to 3.

I will agree that the terminology makes it sound like something more than it is. Just leave it in the position where the light is off and enjoy using all four gears.

Reply to
E. Meyer