upgrading 8 to 9 speed?

Got a bike from Europe. Seems to be a 99 Dura-Ace model but I guess the 99 models in Europe still used 8 speed cassettes. What do I need to change to make it work with the 9 speed? Clearly a new shifter/derailler but what else? Do I just throw on another cog? Do I need a new chain/front deraileur too? Just post a message to the group for everyone's benefit. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Bob Sapp

I believe you'd have to change the hub as well, it may have a different tooth pattern then the 9 speed cassette. The 9 speed front chain rings are skinnier as well to work with the narrower 9 speed chain. You can run a 9 speed derailleur with an 8 speed chain and cassette, and a 9 speed crank/chainrings with an 8 speed chain, however. *shrugs* Still 18, my bike as a mode of transportation days aren't that long ago. Troll or not.

-Sam

Reply to
Sam Tosi(punctuation!)