$1,800 profit-per-car over GM

Mike:

What's the GM equivalent to the Corolla? What is their car or similar size that gets similar fuel economy and stickers for $15K or less? Is it the Cobalt? If so, I think the difference in fuel economy between it and the Corolla would more than offset any savings in cost over 100K miles. Unless I'm badly mistaken, the Cobalt gets 6-8 less MPG than a Corolla, especially if you get the Toy w/ a 5-speed.

Please tell me I'm wrong--I wouldn't mind buying a Chevy if they make one that can compete with the Corolla.

Reply to
Pete Moss

"Pete Moss" ...

Don't forget to factor in how often something FUBARS on it.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Or worse yet TARFUN.

Charles of Schaumburg

Kilroy was here.

Reply to
n5hsr

Tauruses last more than 3 years?

Wow, this place is quite educational.

;-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

What? The 3.0 liter engines in Tauri are very good. Both the Duratec (I have

2.5 litre version) and the Vulcan are solid engines. Most Tauri go the long distance. In fact, a lot of people are waiting for the Tauri that were sold in the last year to come out of the rental and other fleets, so they can buy them at a good price.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

They do if you replace the transmission every two.....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

TARFUN? That's a new one on me. Can you decode it for me?

Reply to
DH

"DH" ...

Got me on that one too.

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

Think back a thousand years or more... Did China need Clinton - or anyone, for that matter - to come up with fireworks & silk, for example? They were innovators way back when.

Cathy

Reply to
clfr

Things Are Really F***ed Up Now!

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

"n5hsr" ...

Ah - Big 3 watchwords to live by. Thanks.

:-)

Natalie

Reply to
Wickeddoll®

C-o-S: Thanks for the translation.

And I'm replying this way because TARFUN over at Teranews where C-o-S' post has not come through but Wickeddoll's has.

My thanks to Teranews for giving me an early opportunity to practice using C-o-S' excellent acronym.

Reply to
DH

Ordinarily I'd say this were true, but we are talking two good cars here that didn't get popular because they are pieces of crap.

We had a Mercury Sable at the dealer I would have bought but I sold it to a friend first...nice car.

Reply to
Hachiroku

A Mercury Sable is mechanically identical to the Taurus. They came off the same assembly lines.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

That is correct. And it was a good car, too.

I always liked the Taurus. Even as a First Year car it had fewer 'teething problems' than other First Years from Detroit, and only improved with age.

As long as you kept away from the 3,8L...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Why? My father liked it. Of coure, he rebuilt engines. Good for him. Bad for car owners.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

The 3.8 was a great engine until the government made the gasket manufactures stop using asbestos. Those 3.8 built in the years before and after the gasket problem was settled were tough as nails.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

It is my understanding that Taurus had serious transmission problems.

A friend had one and he had it in the transmission shop at least yearly....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Oddly enough, although Toyota and Honda were also forbidden to use asbestos they managed to avoid using crappy gaskets that failed early.

Reply to
dh

Neither did most other Ford engines. Nor most Chevies and Chryslers.

It wasn't that asbestos was no longer allowed to be used, but, rather, that Ford came out with a bad design. If Ford had to come out with a new design, so did other engine makers. Most other engine makers did not come out with a bad design. Ford didn't have to make a bad engine, either.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff