2004 Corolla clutch question

All the action on my 2004 Corolla clutch occurs at the very beginning of the pedal travel - just a very short press will disengage it, whereas most cars seem to have the action inconveniently near to the floor.

Is this a problem? what does it signify?

Thanks for any insight, knowledge, suggestions.

Reply to
Angus Macleod

There is a manufacturer's specification on clutch pedal free-play and travel. Without knowing the specification off hand or actually driving the vehicle, it is difficult to know if it is normal or not but as long as you are not experiencing difficult shifting, it is probably OK.

Your clutch is hydraulically actuated and works on the same principle as your brakes. With a mechanically actuated clutch, the engagement point will start low and gradually rise as the clutch wears, but with a hydraulically actuated clutch, the engagement point stays pretty constant.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray O,

Thanks very much for your prompt reply.

It sounds, from what you are saying, that it should be possible to position the clutch action to any position in the pedal travel. Can anyone point me at information about how to do this?

Angus.

Reply to
Angus Macleod

It is possible to position the clutch action, but I don't think that it is any position in the pedal travel. I have never run across a clutch that was out of adjustment, so I have never looked at how it is done. My guess is that it would be the same as adjusting the free play on a brake master cylinder - easier said than done ;-)

You should be able to find the procedure in a Haynes or Chilton's manual.

Reply to
Ray O