Re: clutch adjustment question

> > The problem here is the Camry clutch is not cable actuated, but hydraulic, > > and the pedal, master cyla and slave cyl are all non-adjustable. This > means > > the point at which the clutch disengages is is set by the wear of the > > clutch.. If you had a cable clutch (ala Hyundai) then you can set it up to > > your personal preference, as long as it is fully disengaging on pedal > down. > > Thanks, good info. > > > The dimensions you mention are there to guide the home-mechy, not to > > indicate a fault situation unless they are grossly different. > > The concern is that the pedal is more than an inch from where the Haynes > guide says it should be... and the guide says that if it is not to spec > then it needs to be adjusted... and the adjuster looks like it is already > all the way > out so I can't get the pedal to meet the spec. > > But I'm starting to understand it'll all be okay.... :-)

There are two conditions that clutch adjustment is set to avoid: first is clutch is not dis-engaging when clutch pedal is pushed to the floor. On new cars or cars which have had a clutch rebuild, this is the most commonly encountered adjustment issue. On the other hand, in cars which have a worn clutch, adjusting so the clutch is not releasing too high with respect to pedal position. Also this second issue may mean the throw-out fork release-bearing is touching the pressure plate. This is checked by noting how much movement is at the throw-out lever or at the pedal ((1/2" as mentioned by your manual)

So really, if the clutch is disengaging somewhere in the zone between the floor and the at rest psition of the pedal and not at the extremes,... its OK.

The two figures the Haynes manual refers to are an overall guide for the operator to check the clutch condition and the actuating mechanism's condition. Provided the clutch is meeting the prior conditions above, I wouldnt be too concerned.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James