2006 Sienna LE - Radio Display Goes Blank or "wacky"

Has anyone seen a problem with 2006 Sienna radio display just going out?

This has happend 3+ times in the last week, and once the display went mostly gray.

When the display goes out, i seem to be able to recover it by changing mode (AM->FM->CD etc.)

The time it went wacky, turning the radio on and off did not even help, i had to go to car power off/on to get the display back.

I do not mind rebooting my pc every once in a while, but i do mind re-booting my mini van!

When i mentioned it to the dealer, they told me, not surprisingly, that they have no other reports of this problem, and they did not see the problem with my van when they checked it......

NOTE: It has been pretty hot around here the last couple of weeks, if that is meaningful.

Reply to
Robert Fenster

Next time the audio system acts up, take it to the dealer so that they can observe what is happening and get it repaired.

Reply to
Ray O

While I agree that something can be gained by the Service Dept actually seeing a problem happen, the reason I have a Sienna is because i have young children.

If the radio acts up while driving my son/daughter to camp or swimming lessons, it is very unlikely that i could detour from the planned route to stop by the dealership!

Update:

I called another dealer and they agreed to replace the radio without actually seeing it act up. (Maybe they trust the customers? Maybe the problem has been reported by others?)

They took the VIN and the radio model and ordered a new radio. They will call me when it comes in and replace it in about an hour.

Lessons Learned:

1) Stay Away from Dealer with "New and Fancy" showroom. 2) Call Around.

Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
Trevor Retsnef

Replace in an hour, wow. I have part of the service manual that shows the radio and how to get it out. Unless I am reading this wrong or making it a bigger job than it really is, this center console has to be completely disassembled. Let us know how it goes, I'd be interested how long it really takes.

Glad you got some attention from a dealer. I started to search radio problems on the sienna club.org but had to stop for some other stuff. Maybe I'll get back to it again later today.

Reply to
dbu,