Gearbox concerns

I have not long purchaced an 86 celica and the gear change up to 3rd or down to 3rd is notchy and seems to grind but every now and then it works perfectly, has anybody had a similar problem or can anybody shed some light on possible causes?

Reply to
jason_gen

Toyota boxes are renowned for synchro death - id suspect that to start (mines just failed on my '91) - but check fluid levels/age, any linkage bushes from the stick to the box etc first before assuming the worst.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Shoot, I've had this happen on brand new cars!!

Shift slower? That usually works. The other thing is to check the linkages before you go digging into the gearbox!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks, Im trying to lay my hands on a service manual at the moment but i'm hoping it's not the sincro's. There's no history on the car at all only what the guy that sold it to was able to tell me and he had no idear about cars at all !

Reply to
jason_gen

Thank's for your reply, It dosen't matter how slow or fast you shift through the gears, I've tryed double shifting through the gears but it dosen't matter, if it's working it's working if it's not it's not, but as soon as i can get my hands on a serice manual i'll definatly check the linkages and hope that it's not in the sincro's.

Reply to
jason_gen