How to replace premium sound head unit on a 2000 Camry?

Premium sound is JBL and the 6-CD player/radio is now dead. I have removed the existing 6-CD radio but do I need to bypass the existing JBL amp? Anyone know how to replace this unit with an aftermarket radio/cd player? Thanks.

Reply to
# Fred #

If you order a replacement from crutchfield.com, you can get installation instructions.

Reply to
Ray O

Jus unplug the amp and use wires coming out of it into a METRA/Scosche harness wired to aftermarket radio.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Somebody just did this in the Camry group. I guess, from what he said, LOOK before you unplug the harness from the JBL unit. If I read this right, there is another set of plugs wired in there also. Mark these so you don't confuse them the the JBL wiring, and plug a Scosche harness, available from Wal*Mart for $7 into these plugs.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Thanks for the help but I'm still confused. On my factory radio there is only one big connector to the head unit but Best Buys and Crutchfield shows two connectors. I don't think those two connector kit would fit into my one factory connector.

Plus there are two factory antennas going to the factory radio which adds to the confusion.

Has any installed a new radio on the existing JBL premium system on the 2000 Camry?

Reply to
# Fred #

I just replace my JBL unit in my 2006 Camry. It is the JBL 6-CD in-dash, with satellite hookup (but I don't have sattelite).

There are two connectors on the Radio itself - one for the steering wheel controls, the other for everything else (plust the two antenna connectors).

At the JBL amp (behind the glove compartment) there are two connectors

- one goes to the radio, the other to the speakers and ground.

However, in the area where the radio is removed, there is an extra set of connectors hidden from view (you have to pull the cables out from the dash itself). These two connectors fit the standard $20 Toyota harness you can get anywhere. Unplugging the connectors bypasses the amp, so you can use aftermarket.

You don't need any crutchfield overpriced crap if you have these cables. Good luck!

Reply to
Netsirk

A new head unit so soon on a new car? Mine lasted a little over three years, just after the car warranty. Anyway, thanks for the tips and excellent information!

Reply to
# Fred #

Depends on your 'ear'. I have replaced Stock radios within weeks after buying new cars! Some of them just aren't very good in one aspect or another. The only one I have hesitated on is the Pioneer unit in my Scion, because it's 'bearable'. But, I have an adapter harness waiting in case I want to hook up my JVC MP3/WMA player...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I was looking into an Alpine but found the JVC KD-HDR1 that plays MP3 and has a built-in HD radio for not very much money. What do you think?

Amazon.com is much cheaper but doesn't provide the installation kits like Crutchfield.

Reply to
# Fred #

I have three JVC's but I buy them on E-Bay for about half retail (or less) Two are MP3/WMA players, one is not, all are excellent.

But, you got me! I'm a technocrat...what is HD?

The ONLY think I have against JVC is that I have an external XM radio that can either use the built in FM modulator or Direct Connect with a Headphone type cable. The adapter harness from JVC is $50!!! No front-panel inputs...

Reply to
Hachiroku