I think I found the error when I'm working on cars...

How did you hit 55,000 miles twice?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Must use the same belt (type) as my older Subaru. Guy said change it every

50,000, since it's only slightly bigger than a fan belt.
Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

We've only had the Escort for a couple of months, but it is the same model year and has about the same mileage (135K) as our Avalon. I don't know that much about the Escort's maintenance and repair history, but we got it from a friend.

Here's what I've noticed so far:

Paint and upholstery in the Escort and Avalon are in roughly the same condition.

Both front doors on the Escort sag slightly when open; the rear doors are fine. There is no door sag on the Avalon.

The rear strut mount bushings on the Escort are making a groaning noise when going over bumps and will need replacement to fix the noise. The front strut mount bushings on the Avalon made a rattling noise that was fixed by replacement.

When we got new tires for the Escort, the tire place said it needed ball joints. I have not checked to see if this is true or not. Other than the struts, the Avalon's steering and suspension is all original and in good condition.

There were 7 bulbs out in the Escort when we got it - both license plate bulbs, the CHMSL bulb, a backup light bulb, the dome light bulb, the shift console bulb, and a dashboard bulb. The only bulb I have replaced in the Avalon is one of the CHMSL bulbs.

Changing the transmission fluid in the Avalon is a LOT easier than in the Escort. The Avalon's 4 speed transmission shifts more smoothly than the Escort 3 speed, but that may be more because the Avalon is more upscale than the entry level Escort than due to age.

The shift lever on the Avalon is a lot easier to move than in the Escort. I don't know if the Escort's shifter is difficult to move because of age or if that is normal.

Changing the oil and filter is easy on both cars.

According to Gates web site, the Escort has a timing chain, while the Avalon has a belt.

My son told me today that the AC doesn't work very well in the Escort - I'll have to see what's up with that. It may need a charge or he may just be used to the frigid air from the Avalon's AC.

For the 2 months or so that we have had it, the Escort has been OK, and the price was right.

Reply to
Ray O

Most of the theoretical advice I dish out here is based on past experience - I was getting a little rusty under the hood. If the Escort turns out to be repair-intensive, I'll at least keep in practice :-)

Reply to
Ray O

Thanks...

My son just informed me that the Escort is becoming "hard to start." I guess we'll take it out and find out what's up with that.

Reply to
Ray O

Well, they could pick up a Corolla if they want to pay for it, all I've invested in the Escort so far are tires, a battery, a bunch of bulbs, a transmission screen, and some ATF.

By the way, I tried starting the Escort 5 times, caught every time.

Reply to
Ray O

Hey! Don't jinx me - the car is working OK now, and with prime climbing and camping season coming up and with 2 kids in college, the last thing I want to do is dump time and money into a car!

Reply to
Ray O

I was considering that, but there are couple of catches. The car was a gift to my sons from a fellow Scout leader so I hate to insult them by implying that the car isn't "good enough" for my boys when the husband drove the car every day until his wife's father passed away and he got his father-in-law's car. The deal is that I'm going to make a donation to our local council in her father's name for the value of the car.

The other catch is that KBB lists the private party sale price for the Escort as $1,500, while a 97 Corolla with the exact same equipment and mileage in the same condition is $2,875. To get a Corolla for roughly the same price as what the Escort is worth, it would have to be 5 years older -

1992, with 100,000 more miles at 235,000 miles in good condition is worth $1,435 private party sale.

I think I'll just take my chances with the Escort, wait for the kids to finish college, and then they can buy their own ride ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

Ray, Ray, Ray...we know that Real World, the Corolla with 135,000 is worth about $4,000, and the Escort is worth about $350...

And the Corolla with 235,000 is worth about $200. That's what scrap cars are going for now. (I don't think I'd buy a Corolla with 235,000 for anywhere near what you listed. $600 tops, but it would have to be in really good shape! I paid $250 for the Celica with 225,000, and got the Tercel wagon with 210,000 for free. I sent the Tercel to the YunkJard...bad move on my part. It was a good car. The Celica...I got almost 4 years out of it...)

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

That is my point! I used KBB as a conservative guide.

Reply to
Ray O

Everything has a price, Scott!

Of course, unless you get a Matrix, you have no choice for a Toyota wagon. Er, new anyway.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Ray Ray Ray!!! I used to use KBB to *JACK* the prices up, since they are for sellers.

NADAguides is a more accurate guide for buyers to use.

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

My kids don't like the Escort, but at least my boys know that it beats walking or having to arrange rides with friends. My wife doesn't even like pulling it out of the driveway so she can get the Sequoia out, and my daughter has only driven it a few times - she always manages to get the Avalon before the boys do.

Reply to
Ray O

Based on your figures, It would appear the Escort has better resale value than a similar Corolla when one considers the Corolla cost nearly $2,000 MORE when new. In fact as a percentage of retained value, based on the cost of acquisition, the Escort has far great percentage of return on the original investment than does a similar Corolla ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

You don't like Toyotas, do you?

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

Merely pointing out a fact

Reply to
Mike hunt

The Matrix looks like a vacuum cleaner head. I prefer the 1986 Corolla hatchback that I somehow got for free.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I have a 1993 Escort that was bought new and a 1986 Corolla that I obtained about two years ago. The Escort rattled, buzzed, and leaked air worse when it was new than the Corolla does now at 22 years of age. Also the Escort's automatic has always shifted a lot rougher than those in my Nissan truck (supposedly a very similar trans.) and Corolla. I also had to renew the Escort's dashboard, speakers, and vinyl-covered window trim after five years, while the Nissan and Corolla are still on their original ones.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Can't prove it by me, my 71 Pinto has the original interior and drive train after 38 years and nearly 300K ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

I prefer the '85 Corolla hatchback with the 4A-GE Twin Cam engine, myself...

Reply to
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B