new solara

I saw another new Toyota Solara today. Just my opinion, but that is an ugly car. Maybe that's why I don't see too many of them on the road. I used to think the previous design looked like a girl car, but it's much cleaner looking than this one.

Previous designs were based on the Camry platform, I presume. I thought they used to be called the Toyota Camry Solara, but I believe the new one is just Solara, right? Does that mean it doesn't share the same drivetrain as the Camry or is it still the two door version of the Camry?

Reply to
badgolferman

Japanese manufacturers, except for Nissan, are great at making reliable cars. When they try for design, watch out! I think Toyota's first original and good looking design will be the FJ. For most part, Toyota and Honda cars and trucks look plain.

The Solara looks a bit like the Lexus ES330 -- both are kind of bubbly looking. I guess some people like that. Nissan seems to be the only Japanese manufacturer to make a farily reliable automobile that looks great!

Reply to
Dan J.S.

Right now the Solara is about the only Toyota I would consider buying!! I saw three of them hovering around our local Toy dealer (one had a dealer plate, two were registered). I kinda liked it!

Reply to
hachiroku

The current Solara was designed in the USA, not Japan ... based on what I've read. The report suggested the same design team responsible for the Lexus SC430 came up with the newest Solara. There are some similar lines. I had planned to buy one when they were first introduced, but I couldn't deal with the tiny rear window ... one of the smallest in any convertible. Visibility (with top up obviously) is just plain terrible. Me Again

Reply to
BushkaBob

I personally think that most of Nissan's current cars are ugly, and that Mazda currently makes the best looking Japanese cars.

Reply to
Imminent Vengeance

I'm nearly with you on that. Toyota does make some nice looking cars; the Camry and Corolla LOOK good, but the excitement is gone.

As I have said before, I am a fan of 2 door coupes. I had an 80 SR5 coupe, my "hachiroku", and a GF that had a '78 SR5. Also a Celica GTS. These were FUN cars. Alas, the fun is gone...

Reply to
hachiroku

Absolutely right! Same designers as the SC430. Anyway, this is the car I currently drive. I have the Solara SE Sport V6. One of the main reasons you don't see much of these is the US market is not very fond of coupes... or I'd expect the Solara to sell a little better.

Reply to
ggal

Mazda is constantly losing market share and is the most unreliable Japanese car maker according to all the reports I read. I think domestics are a better bet over a Mazda. The most unreliable Mazda I ever owned was the

929 -- it was a rattle box!!
Reply to
Dan J.S.

That's too bad. I had a '91 Protege that was a terrific car, we put

130k in five years on it with nothing but smiles.

However, stats don't lie.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Quite true...and it's likely your car wasn't the average...everything is like that, practically everyone can name someone who would have been killed if they had been wearing seatbelts. Yet most people will agree that you're safer with belts on.

Mind you, there's always the dolt who will insist that because his cousin twice removed would have died if he'd had his helmet on that helmets are dangerous.

Reply to
Gord Beaman

I guess the Ford influence did them in, just like with Volvo apparently.

Reply to
Imminent Vengeance