OT Buy more bottled water

One can buy a container and fill it with water without being scammed into buying pre-bottled water.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

"Safe" is subjective. EVERY public water system in the US is safe in that it must meet pure water standards set by the various states and the federal governments.

As any American who has visited Mexico will confirm, their water is not safe. Conversely the public water system in Mexico is safe, for Mexicans, since they drink it daily. For the average American who drinks the same water, at least initially, it is not safe.

My one son spent so much time in the middle east that he developed the ability to drink the same water as the locals in various cities, by taking a sip on occasion as suggest by other Americans there. Troops could not drink the same water without developing dysentery, however.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ah yes, but the locals do not.

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Haliburton?

Haliburton?

Reply to
MaceFace

Halliburton?

Workers Allege Halliburton Knew Their Water Was Foul Associated Press January 23, 2006

Troops and civilians at a U.S. military base in Iraq were exposed to contaminated water last year, and employees for the responsible contractor, Halliburton Co., could not get their company to inform camp residents, according to interviews and internal company documents.

Halliburton, the company formerly headed by Vice President Cheney, disputes the allegations about water problems at Camp Junction City, in Ramadi, even though they were made by its own employees and documented in company e-mails.

MaceFace

I have a mountain bike I use on morning rides to the beach. The latest technology 'requires' you have suspension components. I don't need or want suspension....so my old bike will do....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Bikes have sure come a long way from my 1952 Schwinn with the horn button on the side of the frame and coaster brakes, LOL. That sucka really peddled hard, but I rode it all over the little town and farm roads.

Reply to
dbu,.

witfal

Actually my mountain bike is a Schwinn....not QUITE as old as yours...LOL

We have a great Schwinn dealer here. I like to go in and just look at the new bikes.

They also have an excellent service department....

Reply to
Scott in Florida

I guess the articles about overcharging the guvmint passed you right by.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Not at all. But if one takes the time to look into their history, and it being intertwined with Clinton, it takes the wind out of the Dems sails when it comes to Bush.

IF one takes the time.

AFA over-charging the government, I have a personal opinion as to what any corporation may do IF the sales involved the U.S. gov. 15% profit. No more.

They can charge anyone or any other government as much as the market will bear, I don't care. But for our defense, 15% is more than reasonable.

Reply to
witfal

He said bottled water, not bottled drinking water.

Reply to
beerspill

Tell me about it!

Here's my ride to work:

Here are my fun rides:

Reply to
B A R R Y

Now that is one cool dude. Is the frame composit?

Reply to
dbu,.

I took the time to look at the rest of your site.

Wow!

Pilot.

Wood Worker.

Very impressive!

Reply to
Scott in Florida

My son rides a 5200. You've got some great rides.

Reply to
witfal

The Portland is aluminum with a carbon cyclocross fork. It's built with a more upright geometry and a longer wheelbase than a typical road racer. With the wider tires, full fenders, and disc brakes, it handles really well on bad pavement, dirt, sidewalks, and in wet weather.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Thank you, but they're just interesting ways to pass time.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I absolutely love that thing!

It didn't work that well for commuting, though. I was constantly getting flats with the 23mm tires, road shoes were a pain to walk around in, I couldn't fit bigger tires or fenders, and the handling is a tad twitchy with a 20 lb. messenger bag on my back.

What's interesting is how the 5200 feels rocket propelled after riding the Portland all week. The Portland weights at least 5 pounds more when the lights are installed, and has 28mm tires, so it's a much slower ride.

The Portland has me sold on the newer outboard bearing Shimano cranksets and 10 speed cassette, so I'm probably going to upgrade the 5200 this winter.

Reply to
B A R R Y

longer WB interests me. I'll take a look, it's been quite a while but not out of question I might get back in again someday, I'm 64 and jogging is getting a little more tough everyday.

Nice shop pictures and beautiful work. Makes This Old House look a little spartan :)

Reply to
dbu,.