OT Congestion fee, It's about time

Or trim posts.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Why not? I go walking in Central Park at night. I took my soccer team skating one evening in Central Park. But other than well-lit parts of the park, I would not recommend going into the park, except secluded areas with a person with whom you desire close, personal contact.

I also thought about staying in Central Park one night. It seemed that the subways and bus station were not working well. Something about a huge power failure in the Northeast. I got a bus outside the Port Authority (for some reason, they didn't have backup power - very stupid).

Jeff Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I prefer not to take a chance on being assaulted under cover of darkness, with the likelihood of others - help - not being around.

You were with a group & went skating - if at Wollman Rink, it's pretty much near the edge of the park & is prob. well-lit. (I haven't been to the other pool/rink up by Harlem Meer, so can't comment on it.)

Cathy

But other than well-lit parts of the

Reply to
Cathy F.

Actually, it was the Lasker Park by Harlem Meer.

I was also there during the day when the meer was frozen over (mostly). It was pretty cool.

I don't know how safe non-lit ares of central park are at night. If I moved to the immediate area, I could see bike riding in the park at dusk or maybe early morning, but never at night. I don't know if I would walk in the park at night.

I have also walked in various areas of Harlem, especially the areas of Spanish Harlem where _Music_of_the_Heart was shot, although I think the areas are much safer now. I have never felt unsafe in the areas of Harlem I was in, even at night. There were some areas where I would want to avoid, however. And one student from NYU was killed after he was chased into traffice by some kids on one of the main streets of Harlem (125th St, near the Appollo). The same thing is more likely in some areas of the city than others, but it could happen anywhere.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I've been up in that corner - along Harlem Meer, & saw people - mostly kids - doing catch & release fishing in the Meer, and have been in the Conservatory Garden a couple of times. But Lasker Pool (thanks - couldn't think of the name off-hand) - I haven't been there. Yet. ;-) Last fall I finally went up into the NW corner of the Park - started up at 110th St. at the corner & walked down along the paths to the Pool below the Loch. Not nearly as many people up there as are down at the Pool behind the Plaza or at the Lake. Very pretty, & worth trekking up there. It was a crisp, sunny fall day, the leaves were turning, & the reflections in the water were beautiful. Got some pretty photos that day.

The only time I can think of doing it would be on a snowy night when lots of others are drawn to CP because of newly-fallen snow. I've been at the Met on a super-snowy night when we could see people playing in the snow in the Park - many with their dogs - out the Met's huge back windows. On the walk back down 5th Ave. later, could see lots of people walking in the park, & I rather wanted to, but... I was with my niece & after a long day we were both really tired out by that time - so gave up the idea & hailed a taxi instead. ;-)

Yes, this is true.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

So if it's that simple why is there a problem?

Reply to
mark digital©

Here's London's experience with a city entry fee of =A35:

Now:

Then (2003, when it started):

Congestion dropped as much as 40% but is now only 8% lower than it was before the plan was implemented. I believe London's system uses GPS devices to track people and assess the fee.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

It will not become law, the Mayor and the city do not have the legal authority.. To charge a fee in the city will require legislative action and that is NOT likely to be forthcoming ;)

mike

dbu., wrote:

Here's London's experience with a city entry fee of £5:

Now:

Then (2003, when it started):

Congestion dropped as much as 40% but is now only 8% lower than it was before the plan was implemented. I believe London's system uses GPS devices to track people and assess the fee.

Reply to
Mike Hunter