OT: LED Flashlights

Does anyone know of any good ones? The old mag light is on it's final legs and it's time to get a new flashlight and I like the idea of having the power and brightness of a spotlight in the palm of my hand.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Some people use these at work. Very good, some, very expensive. Exceeds Mag Lite output. Government certified equivalents. Click the link.

user

I forgot to mention, lifetime guarantee.

Reply to
user

The Surefire looks like a great flashlight, but it takes expensive batteries.

I use a Nite Ize conversion for the mini-Mag light:

The LED array is much brighter than the original bulb and the AA batteries last much longer.

Reply to
Ray O

Reply to
Mark Lum

Mag-lite has a new LED replacement bulb for their 3-cell flashlite. I paid $18 at home depot. works great. looks like HID. Scott

Reply to
zonie

It does take expensive batteries and I am too cheap to use them so I stick with the old 2 D cell explosion proof flashlight. It works for me, as much as I need it. If we carry anything other than that, it has to be approved, and the only one other right now is the Surefire A-2. Some guys spend the money.

Reply to
user

Maglight sells LED modules with reflector and new endcap for many Maglight models. The one I have is much brighter than a cheapie LED module, and the batteries certainly last long.

Morton

Reply to
Morton

Being a cheap so and so I cringed at paying $18 for a bulb, but bought one a month ago at Home Depot for my 3 cell Maglite. Wow!!! It sure delivers a lot of white light. Now I hate using the 2-cell with its puny incandescent bulb. Anyone who wants to upgrade their Maglite this is certainly the way to go.

Reply to
Plan9

Not LED, but bright enough to blind intruders before shooting them:

Also bright enough for other uses.

Batteries are very cheap if ordered from the company, but insanely overpriced in gun shops.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Ordered from the web site, the batteries aren't that expensive, at least not compared to what gun shops charge for them.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

A guy just can't have to many flashlights. My favorite for most uses is a two cell AA battery light with incandescent bulb. Easy to carry and small enough to carry in a pocket, puts out enough light for most things. I've got a couple of super bright LED's and a couple of rechargeable 12 volt million candle power spot lights. The spot lights are great for going under the house or when a person needs a lot of light for work outside or maybe to see something a block away. Usually when I need a flashlight I grab one of the incandescent ones, just better all around quality light. I use rechargeable batteries in them so battery life isn't a big deal. By the way the power went off the other day for 45 minutes, I wound up using a spiral screw in florescent light bulbs (CFL) in one of those portable reflector light holders, and plugged it into the computer APC. It only uses 33 watts and puts out plenty of light for the room. Worked until the power came back on.

Reply to
Moe

You can also get the batteries from your local Wal-Mart, camera store, etc. Same battery used in some cameras.

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Thanks for the advice on the flashlights guys. I went ahead and picked up a maglight from walmart and fixed my old maglight and gave it to my girlfriend. Then I started messing with my cats mind by darting the light back and forth on the floor.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

You might have scored more points with your girlfriend if you have her the new Mag light and kept the one you fixed for yourself ;-)

BTW, Mag Light has a lifetime warranty...

Reply to
Ray O