{OT} press 2 for english

I guess we took the land away from them by force and now they are taking it back and more by a cultural invasion. I live in SE Virginia, how long do I have before I'll have to learn Spanish just to communicate?

In many areas of Miami, Spanish has become the predominant language, replacing English in everyday life. Anyone from Latin America could feel at home on the streets, without having to pronounce a single word in English.

In stores, shopkeepers wait on their clients in Spanish. Universities offer programs for Spanish speakers. And in supermarkets, banks, restaurants - even at the post office and government offices - information is given and assistance is offered in Spanish. In Miami, doctors and nurses speak Spanish with their patients and a large portion of advertising is in Spanish. Daily newspapers and radio and television stations cater to the Hispanic public.

But this situation, so pleasing to Latin American immigrants, makes some English speakers feel marginalized. In the 1950s, it's estimated that more than 80 percent of Miami-Dade County residents were non-Hispanic whites. But in 2006, the Census Bureau estimates that number was only 18.5 percent, and in 2015 it is forecast to be 14 percent. Hispanics now make up about 60 percent.

"The Anglo population is leaving," said Juan Clark, a sociology professor at Miami Dade College. "One of the reactions is to emigrate toward the north. They resent the fact that (an American) has to learn Spanish in order to have advantages to work. If one doesn't speak Spanish, it's a disadvantage."

Reply to
badgolferman

Very cool! Foreign flavor, without having to leave the country. This is one of a long list of things which make America the best country on the planet.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Except that most immigrants learned to speak English so they could succeed in their new home. Then again, with all the handouts available, they don't really need to succeed, do they?

Reply to
Hach

Name a few more please.

Reply to
badgolferman

Most immigrants work harder to succeed than you do. Their activities have no negative effect on you that you can point to (and get away with it).

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Fritos Guns Everyone Loves Raymond

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I think I read/saw somewhere that we here in Californium see fit to have voter pamphlets in some 60 languages/dialects. I am bemusedly waiting for the first set of plans for a new multilevel freeway interchange that are alternated with these 60 languages. Title sheet in English and the rest of the pages in random (PC) order. Page two might be Kanji and then maybe Uzbek for third - Again Californium leads the way in idiocy Ron

Reply to
ron

No? Gee, I wonder who it was who stole my Hachiroku, and then smashed the window and stole the new radio after I spent a month putting the car back together?

I wonder who it is driving around with no license, no insurance, and making my rates go up on my insurance?

And, even if they learn to speak English, they should do it from where they came from. And THEN come here legally.

In this area of the country, or at least in this area of Mass. most crime is committed by Hispanics. Or, is it just that the evening news skips over the white people?

You love 'em so much, I'll send them to where you are. Then maybe I can park my car at the mall without having to hire an armed guard.

Reply to
Hachiroku

What sci-fi world do you live in? Illegal immigrants cost us pretty close to what this worthless "war" in Iraq is costing us. Those are the only immigrants demanding that we conform to their culture and language.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

I see, thanks Michelle Obama...

Reply to
badgolferman

He lives in the world of "hate common sense and conservatives". He automatically takes the side of anything that we disagree with. He is the epitome of a knee-jerk liberal.

Reply to
badgolferman

Yes, the hispanic population in south Florida has many negative affects, however, not all is bad. You can thank the ignorant President Carter for the bad. When he allowed the Murial boat lifts to land in Florida, several thousand undesirables entered the state. A month after the boat lifts, rape was up 75% on Miami Beach (never saw that in the controlled press did you). Having lived in S. Florida most of my life, I have to admit that the problem is growing. Even though I speak some Spanish (we travel to Spain, Mexico, etc frequently), I was told by a man from Cuba (speaking English) that they were going to fix it so that everyone would have to learn Spanish or get the hell out of South Florida.

As far as the cultural aspects are concerned, if the Hispanics like their culture so much, why are they here trying to destroy ours? Also, when we were in China a couple years ago, we were told that Hispanics were not allowed to immigrate to China. Don't know if it is still true or the reason. We were told that the government looked at the cultural problems they have caused here and felt that they already had enough cultural problems with the 6 or 7 different cultures already in China.

Nevertheless, One of my best friends in college was from Mexico City. He spoke English as good as me. If I walked into his room, and he and his room mate were talking in Spanish, they both would change to English. They both said that it was rude to be speaking in a language that we did not understand when they were in our country. They were great guys.

A Floridian

Reply to
Graybeard

Sixty-six for the Driver's License test here in Mass...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Boy, I HOPE not!!!!

Now, this is cool, but obviously, they weren't the kind of Hispanics we get around here. If they're speaking English (unusual) and an American walks in, they switch to Spanish.

They brought drugs, prostitution and crime to the area. About the only contribution >50% of them have made.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Do you really wonder who, or do you actually know?

There are millions of people born, raised and (supposedly) educated here who cannot speak English. When that problem is fixed, then I'll be concerned about immigrants who don't know the language. Until then: "When you live in a glass house, you don't throw stones."

What percentage of Spanish speakers in southern Florida are illegals? I wasn't talking about illegals.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I live in a world where reading comprehension is a highly respected talent. The article, posted by you, said NOTHING about illegal immigrants.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Damn Hach - now California will have to best Mass in idiocy - but wait ......... They just discovered a "lost" tribe in the Amazon - there's another language for both states to add!! Will it ever end? I wonder if they put in that insurance on cars is mandantory? Some 40% in this "state" don't have insurance and run if they are in an accident. Ron

Reply to
ron

In California we have a lot of gangs from Mexico. If you check the jails you will see a very high percentage of illegal Mexicans. In fact, we have so many criminals that we have to release some of them because we don't have enough jail spaces or resources to house them. If you go to the emergency room you also see a lot of uninsured Mexicans too with non emergency problems - free medical care. Same in the public school system - California has to offer free education (and free lunch to low income)), even to illegals. Many are on the welfare system too. Its all encouraged by the Mexican government since immigrants, legal and illegal as well, send money back to Mexico to support the economy. I have to clean up graffiti on my building since the 1980s due from the influx of Mexican immigrants. I had my new Acura stolen and striped within two hours in San Diego and the parts transported to Mexico - its a huge problem with little punishment. I had my properties trashed by Mexican tenants. In California you have to rent to anyone who qualifies even you know they are going to trash it. There are so many stolen cars ended up in Mexico, even police cars. Our police couldn't get their cars back because the Mexico government policy won't release it - per my State Farm insurance broker.

Sure there are many hard working, good Mexicans, just not enough of them to off balanced the damage by the bad ones. The problem is our government policies that allow bad people into this country. Why are our southern borders not closed and our border patrol attacked and out gunned by Mexican drug lords and what looks like the Mexican military? I think our politicians needed the Mexican/Hispanic vote to be elected. The cost is billions of dollars to California. We wouldn't have this problem if Mexico is located in Europe - then, we would get mostly the hard working and educated Mexicans just like the Asians and Europeans.

Sure is not the same Mexicans I grew up with in the 60s. They were good people, educated, high class and hard working.

Reply to
<Frank>

I would hope that the Mexican student spoke gooder English than greybeard. Maybe they became such good friends that "Him and Me went to the movies together."

Reply to
mack

I assume you're referring to the "Mariel" boat lifts, from April to October

1980. It's so named for the port of Mariel in Cuba.
Reply to
mack