OT: Raising or lowering taxes--what effect on the economy?

The 'surplus' included Social Security....sooooo it was not a surplus...

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Benefits of government spending? There are very few. And the liberals always whine about the Moon program anyway, and that was in large part private contractors building stuff, anyway. NASA has long since become a government bureaucracy. We need private enterprise to spark the next generation of exploration.

Charles of Schaumburg

Reply to
n5hsr

FDR when asked about the on going horrendous annual budget deficits during WWII he replied 'One does not worry about the water bill when their house is on fire.' As a woman you should be the last person suggesting we not fight the war with terrorist around the world.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

So does the "lower" deficit we're currently running -- and it also excludes billions of war spending.

Face it -- a president whose own businesses were always bailed out will never get the federal government balance its budget.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

LOL....

So why not put your coward, traitor Kerry up to save us all from sin?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

It would help if you did a search to discover how the federal government operates. Whether the federal budget is in balance or not is a function of the Congress, not the Executive branch. The Executive branch can only spend what the Congress appropriates.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You've got a real thing about Kerry, huh?

Reply to
Stuart Krivis

I can definitely agree with that. It would be nice to see the government stop curring cash to people who actually need it and instead cut it to waste of money government programs. Lets explore other planets once we have all of the hungry people in america fed.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Depends upon how that war is fought. With intelligence (brains, plus the espionage kind), or with stubborn & short-sighted stupidity, & which was initially begun via lies. While spending billions that could be put to good use elsewhere.

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

Just America?

Cathy

Reply to
Cathy F.

MILLIONS of us have a "real thing" about traitor Kerry.

Reply to
sharx35

Dumbshit.

Reply to
dizzy

Also known as "Voodoo Economics".

The Congressional Budget Office has studied this, and has proven these theories to be false. The CBO modeled this question using a 10% tax cut and nine different assumptions about individual behavior and government borrowing, and found that in no case did the increased economic activity tax cut replace the lost revenue due to the tax cut.

dizzy

Then why is revenue up?

Bush cut taxes and revenue is up.....

Could it be possible that supply side economics works just as advertised?

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Deficits always shrink as the nation comes out of a recession. What would make any rational person think that tax revenues would not be higher yet if the rates were higher?

Also, this years lower deficit is probably temporary. The CBO projects the defecit at $286B next year and over $300B by 2009.

Sure, and it's "possible" that sticking pins in a doll with someone's likeness (and a shock of their hair) will cause them to feel pain.

Reply to
dizzy

"Theories" based on modeling and estimates. Got to keep those govenment folks working, LOL. Keep trying diz, I know you want to pay more taxes, perhaps if the dimmies gain control your wish will be granted. Pay mine for me too. Thankyou in advance.

Reply to
dbu

Wrong again, Scott. In 1968, during the Vietnam War, the US government ran a surplus.

Who's more of a coward:

  1. A guy who supported the Vietnam war but didn't go (GW Bush) 2. A guy who opposed the Vietnam war and didn't go (Clinton) ?
9/11 wouldn't have happened under Clinton or Gore.
Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Is your magic DNC crystal ball telling you this?

Reply to
dbu

My statement stands.

The Viet Nam war ran for a number of years.

We had a deficit for the war years.

Clinton was a coward...

That statement is total b/s!

9/11 was planned and implemented during Clinton Gore, not to mention all the other terrorist attacks that happened while Clintoon Bore slept...
Reply to
Scott in Florida

Ahhhhhh the Dim line....

Raise taxes and revenues will increase.