Re: The sky is falling

Enlighten yourself, do a search of the CO2 levels during the 165 million years the dinosaurs roamed the earth, if that is what you choose to believe

> > Mike hunt wrote: > >> Actually a qualified scientist or engineer HAS a critical way of thinking >> that makes his/her opinions well-founded, because our work can be proven >> by >> others by repeating our work and getting the SAME result. >> >> When we crashed vehicles to verify that they met NHTSA requirements we >> did >> not crash one vehicle of the model, but by repeat smashing the same model >> vehicle. That is one reason the Insurance Institutes crashing ONE >> representation of a vehicle under very diffent circumstances, is invalid >> >> The man is the cause crowd has proven nothing. They are using a >> hypothesis >> based on computer models to 'predict' what might happen. This is not >> scientific simply conjecture based on a minuscule period of recent time. >> Paleo-climatologist based on the fossil record dispute their hypothesis >> as a >> result. The CO levels and the average temperature have been both higher >> and >> low over the billions of years long before man was even on the scene. > > The vast majority of atmospheric scientists who are familiar with the > current science in their field have uncovered very large amounts of > evidence and understand the mechanisms of global warming enough to > believe that man-caused global warming is significant and will become > a very serious problem if CO2 emissions continue to rise. To say > they've proved nothing is absurd. > > I would trust my cousin, the PhD atmospheric scientist, quite a bit > about global warming, but I would not want him to design a car for me > because automotive engineering is not his field. >
Reply to
Mike hunt

You're like those creationists who think they've successfully refuted the biologists with a few simple facts they believe have been overlooked by the highly trained, highly experienced biologists.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

One can choose which scientist whom they wish to believe, but to deny there are those scientist that do not believe man can effect the earth temperature are legion, who believe that current events are the result of ever repeating natural cycles beyond the control of man.

I personally believe that changes in the sun, volcanic activity, and tectonic plate movement as well as our current relationship to the sun are what determine what happens on earth...

To discount the natural cycle of nature is a bit foolish at best

I don't believe it is the President fault either ;)

Reply to
Mike hunt

The vast majority of scientists, as well as scientists who have training in fields related to global warming, feel the that evidence that global warming is caused in part by man.

True. However, to ignore all the evidence that global warming is caused, in part, by man, is even more foolish.

Jeff

The vast majority of scientists have believed a lot of things that eventually were proven to be wrong. Regardless of their "feelings," consensus is not science Good thing we did not believe those that told us we were headed into another ice age, because of pollution, just a few years ago. Back then like today, we MUST act now before it is too late I prefer to see proof, rather than feeling, since other scientist say the rise in the CO2 level FOLLOWS rise in temperature, not the other way around

Reply to
Mike hunt

Have you read the IPCC? You're right. Feelings are not science, nor is consensus.

As you point out, science is self-correcting. It corrected the previous conclusion that the earth was cooling.

And, so far, you have done nothing to show that the earth is not warming up.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yeah, science today is exactly like it was in the 15th century.

Consensus is how science works.

No scientist, no scientific journal, no scientific article said we were headed to an ice age.

Hint: Newsweek is not a scientific journal.

OK, I demand to see proof of atoms. Can you provide some? If not, by your standards, you must admit atoms do not exist.

Reply to
Lloyd

Oh Mike - you should know the answer to that by now: "Anyone who believes that by definition is not a scientist" (even though that's the truth, but they aren't concerned for truth, especially truth that is

*INCONVENIENT* for them). Come on Mike - Get with the program!!!! :)

Bill Putney

As well as some scientists who have publicly stated that they way the report was assembled was a disgrace to true science. But of course you will claim that any such so-called scientists aren't real scientists (by definition). The left is carrying out a character assassination campaign on those involved in denouncing the IPCC report. Truth has nothing to do with it. Science has nothing to do with it.

And of course you will ignore NASA's reversal on that (links previously posted). Care to know which was the warmest year on record? (hint: it was before 1950)

Bill Putney

Actually, it was not.

You should find and read the Newsweek article. There was speculation only: "If this happens, cooling could occur." No scientist was predicting cooling was going to occur.

Yes it was.

Look at # 7.

Reply to
Lloyd

And there are "scientists" who maintained smoking didn't cause cancer either.

Hint: It's 2005, globally. And it is GLOBAL warming.

Reply to
Lloyd

Can you explain the reasons for the same global warming on Mars, to the same extrapolated degree?

Reply to
witfal

That may be one opinion but it is not correct. They were indeed predicting that pollution was cooling the earth. We where being taught that by our Profs, as far back in the late forties when I was in college studying engineering and up into the mid seventies. One of the solutions suggested was placing carbon black on the northern glacier to speed up melting to cool the oceans. Then, as now, we were told if we did not do something within ten years it would be too late

If any logical person looks at all of the natural forces that effect the earth, the sun, tectonic activity, volcanic activity, the relation ship of the sun and earth over time, as well as the naturally occurring changes in the level of CO2 and other gasses in the atmosphere, over billions of years long before man walked the earth and the passed history or warming and cooling, and puts them into an equation, against mans expended use of carbon fuels over the past 100 years, that would lead any thinking person to a logical conclusion that a barely measurable increase of a gas that comprises less than .004% of the atmosphere to be the reason WHY the climate changes? LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

Anything you agree with you call science. Sorry - not how it works.

Yes - we're very aware of how you and your ilk pick and choose their "scientists" just like you pick and choose (and, when needed, fabricate) your data.

Bill Putney

It is not "opinion" -- check it out. See if you can find a scientific journal article predicting cooling. Find a copy of the Newsweek article and read it.

Yeah, who would think a tiny virus could kill a big person? Who would think an electron could tunnel through a barrier? Well, people who bother to learn science, as compared to spouting right-wing propaganda, would.

Reply to
Lloyd

At least now we know were you are coming from. Global warming is the fault of the President and all of those Republicans LOL

Reply to
Mike hunt

Not with any integrity.

No scientist denies the natural causes, but if you got the impression any did, then you were misinformed.

What are your qualifications?

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

The same as yours that makes you believe otherwise

Reply to
Mike hunt

Therefore you're admitting that you too are unqualified to make scientific judgments about global warming. The difference between us is that you believe you are, and I believe I'm not, and I've gotten my information directly from a real atmospheric scientist who has no political bent.

Reply to
Johnny Hageyama

Me too

Reply to