Timing

I have the 93 Corolla, which we bought in 95 at about 45k miles, and at the time I think I was told that the timing couldn't be set the normal way, that it was all electronic.

So if it turns out that it CAN be set in the normal way ( timing light and tach, by loosening the screw at the base of the distributor ), the car now has 153k miles on it. I wonder how far off it may have gotten, and if that may have affected the MPG and power we're getting?

I've gotta try to find my old timing light. Haven't seen it in awhile since we moved a few years ago.

Oh, and years ago I used to hear that in high altitude cities like the Denver area, it helped to advance it an extra degree BTDC? It was supposed to help the power and MPG? Is that a good idea at 6000 feet?

Reply to
Moon Goddess

If the car has a distributor with a bolt in a slot at the bas of the distributor, then the base timing can be adjusted. I forget which terminals you have to short in the diagnostic connector to do so.

If the bolt is tight, it is unlikely that timing is off.

Not in a modern car with electronic spark advance.

Reply to
Ray O

E1 and T. C'mon, Ray!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Sorry, a combination of old age, being up for 36+ hours straight over the weekend, and trying to post at 1:00 AM did me in ;-)

Reply to
Ray O

I looked under the hood and it says that you have to short a couple of terminals on the data link connector, and shows which ones. What do you short them with, a regular alligator clip? I have some of those.

But you don't think it's ever changed, as long as the bolt is tight?

It says to set it to 10 degrees BTDC.

I know what that is, and all, and used to set my own timing in older cars without all the electronics. I just need to short that data link now.

Reply to
Moon Goddess

You can buy a special jumper wire for $10 or use a large paper clip like I do.

As long as the bolt is tight, base timing should not have changed. It is theoretically possible that timing has changed slightly due to stretch in the timing belt but in the real world, it is unlikely that timing has changed enough to go through the hassle of adjusting the timing.

Reply to
Ray O