Vibrating at 65mph ???

Hi

My 1996 Tacoma (94k, V6, ext. cab, LX, 2 wheel drive) seems to vibrate excessively (truck and steering wheel) at exactly 65mph. On city roads it is not noticeable and at about 75mph it does not really seem that bad. The tires were replaced about eighteen months ago and have about 10k miles on them with very little but even wear.

What should I have checked out when I take it into the shop??

Thanks, Martin

Reply to
marspinball

wheel alignment, tire balance, tire pressure and steering arms. Those are the most likley culprits. steve

steve goodsworth

Whenever you take your vehicle to a shop, you should describe the condition you're trying to remedy as completely as possible, as you have done above. It is never a good ideal to ask the shop to check a specific component unless you're sure that is the problem. Otherwise, if you ask them to check the driveshaft balance and the problem is the wheels, the shop will charge you to check the driveshaft balance. Let the shop experience, diagnose, and repair the condition.

That said, most vibrations that occur at a specific speed range are tire-related. My guess is that the shop will re-balance the wheels.

Reply to
Ray O

I agree 100%. I have also had problems with vibration only at certain speeds, and getting the wheels balanced always did the trick. If the vibration seemed to start suddenly, then one of those weights from the last balancing may have fallen off. If you ever have a weight fall off one of the front wheels while you're driving at highway speeds and hits the underside of the car it'll give you a good scare, because it sounds surprisingly like a gunshot.

Reply to
Ernie Sty

The part about the scare is probably especially true in urban areas where the sound of gunshots is more common than the sound of wheel weights hitting the underside of the car!

Reply to
Ray O

I had a problem with this. I had an automatic transmission leak at the output shaft bearing, so I had a shop replace the transmission output shaft seal, which they did. It still leaked. It still does; that's on my list of things to fix. I think the bearing itself is bad (too much lateral play), which immediately damaged the new seal. Learned my lesson about ordering specific work; you better be darned sure of your own diagnosis before ordering work, or you'll be disappointed with the result. Of course, if I'm right about the remaining problem, they could have told me, "You have a bad bearing in there, too." But I certainly don't think I should count on that.

(Incidentally, I think this was the same shop that replaced the exhaust and dropped the back axle to do it, and here's another instance where they were working with the "propeller shaft". I can look for the receipts to see which was done first.)

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Bendzick

Yup, always describe the condition, not the cause or remedy.

Reply to
Ray O