2002 Camry serpentine belt replacement

I have a 4 cyclinder needing a drive belt replacement. I noted the tensioner has a Torex bolt on it and there is a 3/4 (metic equivalent) inch bolt just above and to the right of it. I didn't note any thing that needs to be loosened before removal. Is that correct? The 3/4" bolt looks like it's at the pivit point. I saw tensioner tools in the auto store but could I use a regular socket with a cheater bar on it? Should I just crank on that bolt?

Reply to
bgrieves

if you crank the bolt on way it increases the tension, the other way causes the pulley to rotate loosening the belt for removal

Reply to
HarryB

Doesn't the 2002 have a Timing Chain???

Reply to
lobo

Yes, but he is talking about the serpentine belt that drives alternator, ps pump, etc.

Reply to
JJ

Yes, but he is talking about the serpentine belt that drives alternator, ps pump, etc.

Reply to
JJ

Yes, but he is talking about the serpentine belt that drives alternator, ps pump, etc.

Reply to
JJ

The 02 generation has an automatic belt tensioner (finally after all these years!). You slowly turn the tensioner to remove the tension and take off the belt. Don't know if the space allows for a breaker bar and socket, but you maybe able to get a free loaner from AutoZone if they have it.

bgrieves wrote:

Reply to
johngdole