2002 Camry wanders

I have to pay attention to staying in lane and adjust the wheel more than with my old 1987 Camry. I understand that the 2002 is a bit wider than the old model....so the positon of veh. in the lane is even more critical. Is this normal with the 2002's, or is there something I can do to tighten the steering....I only have 5000 miles since buying it new. Other than that it drives like a dream....except that gas mileage is only 24 MPG. Maybe I'm just getting old and need a smaller car.

Reply to
Marty009

Shouldn't wander. Check your tyre pressures are correct (not too high), then get it aligned if still the case. Correct Caster figure ensures good tracking unless a suspension/steering bush is badly worn, which is not to be expected in a 2002.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

I believe 1st year adjustments are covered in the US. Check your manual... it is in there.

bullshit

Reply to
Art Begun

Marty, get your alignment checked before 1 year/12K miles. The alignment can be adjusted for free during this period or it's going to cost you afterwards.

Your car is not suppose to wind up in the next lane when you don't want to, even if some dealers may tell you that ;)

Marty009 wrote:

Reply to
John

Mine is fine unless there is a lot of wind. My 02 seems to be very susceptible to wind-forced wondering.

Reply to
DrWho

But keep in mind, you must still drive it yourself. If it ends up in another lane, you have a blown tire or never stopped before climbing into the back seat to get the kids toy from under the seat. Oh, that big round thingy your holding onto actually moves, it can be used to compensate for turns. Also it helps to actually pay attention. This means "hang up and drive", "eat at home" "have your CD you want to listen to alreay out of the case and on the seat" and a few other items.

Reply to
MDT Tech®