Toyota Quality ?

Personally I don't think the fact that KIA offers a 10 year warranty says anything about their quality. I don't expect them to be around in

10 years.
--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.

Because there a little thing called extended warranties that often make more money for manufacturers than the car itself. Hyundai hasn't clued into this.

--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Hi Mike, nice to know you are still full of shit, it's been a long time.

--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Phillipo

They are getting darn close by putting their name on Toyota, Suzuki and Isuzu vehicles.

--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Phillipo

You experience seems to multiply every time you show up. I suspect in your next troll you will be 94 years old and have owed over 100 automobiles.

--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.
Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Because people will actually keep their toyotas that long. Not true of the cheap cars with long warranties. It's like "lifetime" brake pads, or "lifetime" mufflers. They are betting you won't keep the car that long.

Reply to
Brent P

Stainless exhaust systems do last nearly forever, though.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

once

the

If your 2003 4runner was built in North America, you should check for PCV hoses leaks. I had the bad exhaust smell in my 99 Sienna. After tracing it for more than 2 weeks and I found the cause was the aging hoses. The leaks also led to failed emission test on high NOx.

Reply to
Sam Cheung

SNIP

And what about that Chrysler peeling paint too!?!?!?!?!?!? My minivan was peeling. It made me look at other Chryslers on the road just to see if my vehicule was an exception. Not so. More the rule than exception.

JP

Reply to
JP

All 4runners are built in Japan. But thanks for the tip.

Reply to
Dan J. S.

But if you look at the latest jd powers and consumer reports, at least American cars are ahead of most European models in terms of quality and reliability. So I believe Detroit is doing something, thanks to the competition from Toyota and Honda(because I still feel Mitsubishi, Mazda and maybe Nissan are very unreliable brands)

Reply to
Dan J. S.

LOL... Midas replaced many mufflers on my old 70 Maverick...

I kept that thing for almost 200,000 miles and a bunch of mufflers..

Scott in Florida

Reply to
Scott in Florida

You got it wrong by a factor of 3 ya dumb prick. Amazes me when these psychic psycho madams like d*****ad here make presumptions. They are never close.

Dickhead, why don't you go suck yourself.

Now, that's funny.

OK Back to topic. IF you'd believe all the hype of the commercials and ads (like a rock, quality is job 1, etc.), then ALL the big automakers should have a bumper to bumper 10 year, 100k miles as standard. But no, the from-nowhere Korean brands must build a better machine, right? Come on Toyota, raise the bar. What are you afraid of?

Reply to
Free Rider

QUITE the opposite. Warranties are sales tools ... a "confidence" game. If vehicles were truely "like a rock, or job 1" and buyers found that to be true, what need would there be anything but the shortest of warranties ... say 15-25k miles?

Extended warranties are a car manufacturers' *reaction* to consumers who found the product wanting in percieved quality or value.

--

- Philip @ Maximum Torque RPM
Reply to

Only a very small percentage of new car buyers keep their vehicle for a long time. The average new car buyer replaces three vehicle in three to four years with 30K to 45K on the clock. The average use car buyer replace their vehicle in two to three years. Even those that are considered long term owners, replace their vehicle in ten year with 150K to 180K on the clock. To them do you think it makes a difference if they replace, say a generator at 90K or 120K, if in the end they buy one generator? I would be looking at the cost of the generator rather then at which mileage I would need to be changed, especially if one costs $90 and the other costs $125.

mike hunt

Brunt P wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

Take this for what it's worth. I bought a 1995 Toyota T100 truck with the 3.4 liter V6 used in the winter of 2000. At the time I bought it, it had 219,000 miles on it. At approximately 250,000 miles, it blew a head gasket. My local dealer removed the heads and inspected and infomed me that Toyota would pick up the tab not only for replacement of the head gaskets because of a recall, but also would install a new short block because of pitting in the cylinders from the antifreeze being burned. I didn't have to scream, threaten, or anything. The truck now has 290,000 on it and still runs very well. My local Toyota dealer in Kansas City is a quality outfit. And no, I don't work for them. Just my experience. Every word is true.

Reply to
chestand

Exactly. "Confidence game" is the long form of what is more commonly known as a "con", as in "con artist" (or perhaps "con sumer"?). It works the same whether you're selling cars or carburetors: Offer a long (or "lifetime") warranty, and idiot consumers will buy on that basis alone, even when the product is of extremely poor quality.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Free Rider wrote in rec.autos.tech

never

As I said, you are just a useless little troll, not interested in discussion.

--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.

Dan J. S. wrote in rec.autos.tech

We bought a new Plymouth Caravan in 1991, while it never spent a lot of time in the shop, it left us very disappointed. I maintained it according to the manual. From the start it had problems with the brakes, upon occaision they would overheat, and I would have to stop and let them cool. Reported under warranty, supposedly fixed, but always went through front brakes exceedingly fast. And would still overheat. We had some fairly normal problems, but had to replace the 02 sensor at 45K, after paying the dealer 3 hours to trouble shoot it. Then the MAP sensor went at 60K, the O2 again at about 90K, then at hundred K the tranny started slipping, and the final blow came when I went out one morning and started the van and the head gasket blew. Never lost coolant before hand, never had any white smoke, never used oil, just suddenly blew and started blowing huge clouds of white smoke. Oh, and the number of recalls due to poor quality of parts, or poor design was unbelievable.

--
Dick #1349
Damn it . . . Don't you dare ask God to help me.
To her housekeeper, who had begun to pray aloud.
~~ Joan Crawford, actress, d. May 10, 1977
Home Page: dickcr.iwarp.com
email: dickcr@comcast.net
Reply to
Dick C

Brent P wrote in rec.autos.tech

Yeah, people who buy big American cars trade them every 2 to 4 years, why add on an expensive sales tool when it isn't needed?