Unable to remove key from the ignition

Intermittent problem.

After a drive I am unable to remove the key from the ignition. It seems to not be able to turn all the way left.

One day I had to leave the car in front of the store with the engine stopped but the radio playing :-) When I got in again I was able to start the car normally and later remove key OK...

Turning the steering wheel does not help, juggling the gear shifter does not help... What seem to help is to turn the key back to the starter location to just touch the starter. Then I am able to remove the key.

The car is 1995 camry LE, 4 cyl automatic, 250k miles.

Where to look? What can I check? Of course I would like to avoid replacement of ignition lock/switch.

Reply to
Pszemol

Sounds like the key interlock solenoid malfunctioned, intermittently. Read page #186, Key Interlock System (and/or many other interesting articles on autoshop101.com).

The key solenoid itself may be sticking. Also, you may have to check the shift position switch and stop light switch, as these two affect the operation of the actual solenoid plunger that blocks the key.

Reply to
johngdole

Could it be dirt in lock, there is spray electronics cleaner, but for saftey I would disconnect the battery for an hour till it dries out

Reply to
ransley