1993 4x4 - Brake Dash Light

I have a 1993 Toyota 4x4 v6 with approx 225,000 miles. I replaced all of the pads about 3 months ago and have had no problems. However, this morning the dashboard brake light came on and stayed on. I checked the fluid level and it it fine. The brakes seem fine.

Does anyone have any clue what else I might check? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
jonvoights_toe

I have this same problem on an '02 Tacoma. The dash brake light is on, the hand brake switch is OK, and the brakes and fluid level are good. It seems that the switch built into the master cylinder reservoir is stuck in a closed condition or shorted. When I unplug it the light goes out. I would love to hear from someone with knowledge of this system. The reservoir containing the switch can apparently be replaced for about $125 (a little more than a complete 3rd party rebuilt master cylinder) and the system would have to be bled. I'm wondering if there isn't an easier or cheaper solution. Thanks to anyone with more info on this!

vjderose

Reply to
vjderose

Yes, the cheaper solution is to simply to what you did to extinguish the lamp, pull the wire off. You are obviously a mechanical person and one would hope that you check fluids on a regular basis.

Reply to
Scotty

I'm wondering if there isn't an easier or

Pulled the plug 10 years ago on my '94 4X4. Still alive & well & no annoying dash light. dc

Reply to
doncee

In my JEEP -- yes, apples and oranges -- my brake light stays on if the key is not returned to Run after Starting. The key can stick somewhere along the way from Start to Run, and in this condition, the BRAKE lamp on the instrument panel remains lit. Try rolling the key a bit to see if you can get the light to go out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thanks everyone for the comments, I'll try your suggestion with the key position Jeff. For now, I have just unplugged the master cylinder sensor and that works as a bandaid at least. Jim D

Reply to
vjderose

I had that same thing happen in my 93 toyota pickup and I also couldnt figure it out. I just left it alone and it ended up going out on its own. My grandap said that sometime there is a light that comes on like that at a certine millage just so you check your brakes. He had that happen in a little Nissan car one time.

Reply to
jered.evans