4Runner - How to remove starter

Can anyone tell me how to remove the starter from a 98 4Runner with 6cyl,

4WD and automatic transmission? The factory shop manual is no help. I searched the Internet and found a number of people asking the question but no real answers.

The brake line and transmission dipstick tube are in the way of getting it out via the access flap in the right wheel well. It appears the only way to move the trans tube it to drop the pan. Even if I move the brake line and trans tube, I'm not sure I'll be able to get it through the hole.

My dealer suggested moving the steering rack and taking it out the bottom - he wants $380 for labor.

I'd appreciate any help/suggestions.

Thanks

Reply to
none

If the brake line and ATF tube are in your way, why can't you remove them???

Can you disconnect the motor mounts and jack-up the engine to gain access?

Why not do as the dealer recommends, (removing rack)?

Reply to
DaddyMonkey

I guess I should have included some more details ... Another dealer I spoke to said he never heard of moving the rack to take the starter out. He said there must be an easier way, but could not offer any suggestions. I don't mind moving the brake line and transmission tube or moving the rack. I am trying to determine the right way before doing the work. I don't want to remove the brake line and trans tube and then find out the starter won't fit through the access door. Likewise, I don't want to move the rack if that won't get the starter out either.

Thanks

Reply to
none

This info is for the earlier 3.0 V6 starter removal, but may help:

Roger Brown

|| Can anyone tell me how to remove the starter from a 98 4Runner with || 6cyl, 4WD and automatic transmission? || The factory shop manual is no help. I searched the Internet and || found a number of people asking the question but no real answers. || || The brake line and transmission dipstick tube are in the way of || getting it out via the access flap in the right wheel well. || It appears the only way to move the trans tube it to drop the pan. || Even if I move the brake line and trans tube, I'm not sure I'll be || able to get it through the hole.

I took off the pass. tire, took the bolt out of the brake line, bent the line over so I could pull starter off that side, and yes, it was tricky.. Notice the brake line has a built-in Z to it, that is to allow you to extend the brake line out and away from the motor along the frame rails so you can get it out... it's tricky, but it can be done....

Reply to
RedForeman ©®

I thought the brake line had a Z in it because it would expand and compact as necessary to keep pace with the suspension, not to facilitate starter removal.

Reply to
I Won 3 Self Inflicted Purple Hearts and Got out of 'Nam Ear

|| I thought the brake line had a Z in it because it would expand and || compact as necessary to keep pace with the suspension, not to || facilitate starter removal.

surprise... that's what it's for, starter removal... Toyota put the starter on the motor, and the brake lines were already there before it was placed in the vehicle. Logic was, there was no other way to remove the starter, if the lines were rigid putting the Z in allows the line to be bent and moved.

if your brake lines move too much, they will kink or break... you don't want a rigid line to bend, do you?

Reply to
RedForeman ©®

When I asked the dealer they just started laughing. I was not going to pay them for some stupid trick. I unbolted the starter and all the wires with the tire off. Once everything was done, there are 2 bolts that hold it together. unbolted them, the starter was now in 2 pieces and it will come out past the frame into the wheel well. broke the new in the same place inserted the two pieces rebolted them together and mounted the starter. hook up the wires. Done 25 minutes. When I told the dealer they asked to see it and wanted to know how long it took.

Reply to
Mark