4Runner Oil Filter ?

The 90915-20004 filter is also used on several Lexus models and my Tundra

4.7 V8. Check the filter listings for the Tundra. That said, I prefer the quality of the -20004 and buy that for my use. An online or mail order dealer will sell a case of ten for about $6-something each.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Shelton

Hello all,

Just picked up my first 4Runner, '03 SR5 w/V6. I do most of my own maintenance on my vehicles and so am trying to lay in supplies for the Toyota. The oil filter on there is a Toyota 90915-20004. I was looking for aftermarket filters and no one seems to have the 4.0L engine listed (Fram's website doesn't even show any 03 models - nice upkeep). Does anyone know a cross reference to Wix, Purolator, etc (like to avoid the Fram if possible). In the alternative, have you more experienced people found a Toyota dealer with decent prices (mine wants $9.00 a filter!). Finally, any particular issues with this motor that anyone is aware of? I'll be running Mobil 1 after 5K miles w/5K changes, does that seem to be a reasonable schedule? TIA for any advice to a newbie.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Howlin

Dana Wix filters are probably better than OEM, and cost alot less. i get 12 (case) for about $50 from local store.

really what you're after is thread size, seal diameter, and relief pressure (if any). you can most likely get a Wix filter that has about double capacity than the OEM.

Reply to
Kryptoknight

Toyota only sells two oil filters. You'd think a 4-Cyl., 6 Cyl. and a V-8 would be different filters, but apparently not in the Toyota/Lexus line. In So Cal. dealer competition is so fierce, most of the dealers sell the filters for about $4 bucks (Limit 2). BTW don't forget to buy the drain washer.

Reply to
Joseph Wind