90 4runner stereo ?

I recently got a 90 runner, My question is this, THe speakers in the back are in what appears to be a "BOX" inside the box is what I beleive is an amp of sorts. Am I correct? I cannot find a suitable speaker to fit this box, So I want to do away with the box itself. I don't see any problems with this since I have changed out the head unit. THe main thing I need to know is if the front speakers also have some sort of box. I can see that they have been changed to a better performance speaker. SO, I really don't want to have to mess with them.

searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1

Stay with the rears as they are!!

You can bypass that amp and run the rears straight of another amp or headunit. Ive done this and they actually sound quite good for rear fills.

If you need any more info repost and I will tell ya how to do it.

Reply to
Scotty

I decided to remove that amp enclosure, run regular speaker cables from the head to the rear speak locations. THere is no way that I am going to be happy with those 4 in speaks in the rear. I built a cover plate for the same area and bought Infinity Refs 61/4. Goin to mount them today. After, the shocks, the exhaust and Oh yeah that pesky half shaft. Thanks for the info Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1

The fronts are size 4T and are not amplified (nothing larger wil fit in the area).. Crutchfield has speakers for both locations including replacing the amplified ones - amplifier is so low powered that ist probably not worth keeping them IMHO.

Reply to
Wolfgang

Why run new wires? They are already run for you in the loom.

Reply to
Scotty

do you have the 6 speaker system?

I am in the process of rplacing my speakers too . I have 2 in the front

2 in the rear low and 2 in the rear/ceiling.

I get different info about waht fits in the rear. The small ones up top I dont care nut in the rear low I want to put in as big as possible ... what bolts right in? Local shop says 5.1/4 but crutchfileds page says

6.5" I am willing to do some custom stuff but dont want to be in tere tweaking and fitting for days...

Matt

6 1/2 or even 6x9 will fit in the back side area. The ones I ordered from Crutchfiled came with a plastic panel to mount the speakers to and then fit into the opening.

Reply to
Wolfgang

I bought 61/4 infinity reference for the rear. I had to cut the factory mounting area but I got them in. Doesn't sound the greatest right now, but I just wanted to get sound in there. I may have to buy a small amp to get the sound that I want, but that will be later. I still have other work that needs to be done before I get into the wants department. For instance "I need that 3 in. body lift!" I need that air locker. If I use tech terms then my wife will let it go, but if I mention the word AMP forget it!

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1