1600 DP Engine (& van?) Available In Singapore/Malaysia

Can someone please tell me where is the most appropriate place to advertise a

1976 VW engine and possibly the whole van for sale. I am thinking of taking the engine out of my van before scrapping the van. In Singapore, there is an enormous tax (S$30,000) that must be paid to drive a vehicle for 10 years, and the remaining tax value is refundable if the vehicle is scrapped (or exported, I guess).

The engine that is in the vehicle is not the original, but I have the original numbered block to send for scrap with the body if I want to save the engine. I can box up and then send the engine anywhere, but I have no idea of shipping costs. Does anyone have any idea what this might be? BTW, there're dual Kadrons and an 050 distrib. on the engine, but otherwise stock, but with the huge van flywheel & clutch, & bug flat dome pistons. I have no idea what year the engine is, but I know it's an original German Vw engine, and it has the 2 oil pressure relief ports.

I wouldn't mind selling the vehicle complete for export, but it is a right hand drive, so maybe nobody in the main market - USA - will want it. It has never been "restored" as such, and the body is a bit rough around the edges, but the frame and undersides have almost no rust whatsoever - I sprayed it all with 2-part epoxy rig paint years ago. I also redid the door sills and seat pans a few years back with extra thick steel sheet. Everything works, but some normal wear items need replacing, like ball joints, etc. I have lots of small spares, including the new joints.

I'm stuck for money here, and I need to get the cash out of the van, so I can't afford to export it and sell it elsewhere myself, but its a keeper - I'd hate to have to send it to Natsteel to make into rebar. The refund value of the tax is over S$10,000 - or about USD6500, and I'm pretty sure I get that back whether the van is scrapped or exported.

Any suggestions - this will have to happen by sept/oct. as that is when I plan to go back to Canada.

Hey - wasn't there a giveaway van in Colorado that needed an engine?

- Tom

Reply to
Oldbie