`71 Ghia Convertible Restoration

Hi All,

I read here all the time both for VW tips and for the ongoing comedy. I'm very greatful for the nuggets of wisdom I've already received, and I'm sure I'll be coming back with more questions, but I wondered if there's anything that strikes anyone about starting a `71 Ghia restoration that they'd like to tell me before I start it tomorrow. I've done a bit of VW work here and there on engines and the like, but never a big job like this. It's my dad's, he's the original owner. I do plan on posting pictures tomorrow, but basically, it's in the shape any car would be that's been parked for 15 years that had shot brakes, electrical, and various dings. The engine was running like a champ the last time it was on though. Like I said, it hasn't been on in 15 years. Actually, it's 2005 now....make that 16 years. My goal for now is to get the engine to turn over, and worry about the rest later. I'll be having a pro do the body work, brakes, and paint, as well as any transmission work.

I've read here for almost a year now and learned a lot, so I'm not asking for a comprehensive guide, but any last minute tips from people who've gone through this would be much appreciated. I've got the Bentley manual, muir manual, how to rebuild a VW aircooled engine...and plenty more. Also planning to order the BugMe videos. My shop is set up with a new engine stand, jack, jack stands, and a creeper. I'm raring to go first thing tomorrow.

Thanks!

-Alex

Reply to
Alex Gilblom

Yeah: Prepare to spend about 7 to 20 grand, depending on how much you can do yourself. If you want a pro to do the work, I'm available above Atlanta. 30 yrs. exp.; semi-retired with my own shop so no overhead. I'm not greedy & can save you probably 35% to 50% of what any other shop would charge for the same quality work (top quality work using top quality materials). I can do everything you don't want to do from the ground up. Well actually I wouldn't do the convertible top - you should get a *good* upholstery shop for that (but it's the last thing you'll want to do). You can email me at imthadriver at yahoo. ~ Paul aka "Tha Driver"

Easy on the Giggle Cream!

Reply to
ThaDriver

Whatever you do, do it with love :) Mike

Reply to
Mike C.

Take lots of digital pics as you disassemble for reference. I'd also look for parts in advance of when you need them. I recall having trouble finding front brake parts for my 71 Ghia as they are 1 or 2 year only parts. Andy

Reply to
Busman

See my website for lots of photos of my 70 KG.

Buy mechanical stuff from BFY, Real Source et al. Buy Ghia only parts from KGPR.

Email with questions and I'll try to help. I did it all myself, even the top. Take it slow and do it right. The body work took the biggest percentage of time on my resto.

Reply to
Mel P.