'73 Karmann-Ghia

My quick story is that I have an '08 MINI Cooper Clubman that I use mostly for the weekends and long distance driving for my hobbies. I put too many miles on it too soon so I want a daily driver. Background: My mother bought a new '65 Beatle when I was about 2 and my uncle had a dark green '68 fast back. Those two VW's as well as the other VW's of the '60's I saw as a youngster made me fall in love with VW products. After my hot muscle car days were over, I got a '72 Super Beetle, sold that and got a '73 Super Beetle, sold that and got a Dasher Diesel stationwagon, sold that and then I got a Golf. It has been over 15 years since I've had a VW product and nastalgia is taking me back. So with all of that worthless information out of the way, is there anything inheritantly wrong with a '73 Karmann-Ghia? I stopped by this old man's house where he has had one under his car port undriven for the last few year. The body is good, appearing to not have any rust. He bought it from the original owner in '76 and since then, has had the engine rebuilt. The interior is good but has the classic cracked vinyl dashboard. He said that the only thing he remembers is that the carburator needs adjusting because it doesn't idle well. I told him to give me a price and he said he will call me back in the next few days after thinking it over. So, is this a year model to stay away from? My muscle car days experience made us stay away from US vehicles which were made after '72 at the latest, with '70 being the last really good year. Does this apply to this vehicle?

Ilaab

Reply to
ilaab

Buy it!

There is no inherent difference between a '73 Ghia and earlier ones. It's 12V, 1600cc, front discs, ball joint beam.

Read buying tips on John Henry's site (not specific to Ghias):

and:

Speedy Jim

ilaab wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks for the reply. I really want it but he initially told he wanted $5,800.00 because he saw similar KG's on the net for that. This is definately a nice one but I don't think it is that nice. I'm still waiting for the call back for the actual price after he gets to "think about it." Thanks again.

Ilaab

Reply to
ilaab

I have a 73 Karmann Ghia that I've driven since 1980 and I love it! With the exception of minor maintenance I havn't had any problems with it.

Of course 6K is a bundle unless it's show quality, here's hoping the price drops substantially...

Good luck

Reply to
pepsifreek

He has three vehicles under his car port he doesn't drive. One is a Jaguar XJ6 and I can't remember what the other one is. Since it doesn't appear he has actively attempted to sell the vehicles, he may keep the price high since he isn't in a hurry. He also hear me crying about how much I hate rust and this one doesn't appear to have any since it has been in the El Paso, TX area for its life. We will see.

Ilaab

Reply to
ilaab