all i hear is crickets!

awful quiet here.....so...what have you folks be up to? any work/improvements to your vw's?

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Well, I discovered this last week:

such a lovely surprise......got the bits now, namely floor, front of heater channel & closing panel.

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

I'm busy filling and leveling a building site for our new shop/garage. It's going to be 30ftX50ft with double rollup door and a single rollup door on 1 side and a single rollup door on the other. Plus windows and walkin doors. Heated & A/C of course. Building should go up in the next several weeks. On the back side of the building will be a 10 ft overhang the entire width of the building. Am also digging a pond about

50 yards behind the building. Keeping me busy. Living on top of a mountain means there is no level building sites. You have to scrape and fill to even come close to level.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

New engine built for the '66. Waiting for the wiring harness and the new transaxle. So nothing new to report here. But after the parts come in... I will have plenty to do and take pics of!!!!

dw

Reply to
dragenwagen

Putting together my 1600DP, so far everything is going together nicely. hopefuly longblock is going to be done this week. It's mostly stock except for fullflow, berg oil sump and exhaust. Once i get it installed and running I am planing on building custom intake for weber 40 DCOE carb. This is my first, so it's a bit stressful. :)

Anton

Reply to
anton

Hope y'all are going to put fish in the pond for the slow VW times!!

Fweem.

Reply to
Dave Tosi

It's raining so hard here that I won't be doing much on my bug until spring. I managed to replace the window channels and scrapers before the rains came but I must have screwed it up some how. It takes about

20 pounds of force to slide the glass up and down. For now it's keeping the rain out so I'll leave it alone. I'm not going to install the new window lift because I think it'll bend under the load of forcing the glass up.

Another thing that has me PO'ed is the new wing window latch I bought broke less than a day after I put it in. It was the only part of this job that wasn't from West Coast Metric. I trusted the local VW shop to sell me a good part...

Anyway I'm looking at redoing the entire project and I hope to figure out where I went wrong next time.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Working on my body, slowly but surely. Getting a lot of welding practice. :)

Reply to
Remco

good that you found it now...would be much worse later on.....these VW's are full of not so pleasant surprises...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

sounds like you are keeping busy, Randy....the building sounds great....i understand about no level sites....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

sweet....you aren't far from driving down the road.....glad to see you are pretty much recovered from your personal hell....this year was much milder in terms of weather....something to be "thankful" for this holiday season....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

congrats on the progress......full flow and add on sump are great additions.....for your sidedraft i suggest much smaller venturies than they come stock with....my 1641cc with drawthrough turbo is about to get some smaller vents....the driveability is suffering....it is like "on" or "off"....smaller vents and a rejet should cure my problems....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Yep, fish will be in the pond. Ducks too. This is the first of 2 ponds. 2nd pond will be about 1-2 acres and will be directly behind the house about 50 yards.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Tony...great to hear.....the windows can be quite "tight" when all seals are new....i've found that some lube helps....the rubber is grippy and since it is new, it is not "broke in" nor worn out.....use some lube....can't be specific because i have been known to use everything from pledge furniture polish to actual spray lube....doesn't hurt to clean up and relube the window regulator(if you didn't) too...years of crud can build up and make them harder to wind....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

good to hear Rem.....and remember, the next one will suck just as bad, but you will know what to expect!!!

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

When I eyeballed this site, it looked level. When we ran the string lines and level out it wasn't even close. 2.5 ft off in 1 corner. So, I'm raising everything up at least a foot to help keep water out of it. Got about

1/3 done today and I'm pooped. And sore. Got a good tractor but it rides just like a tractor...... Spent about 6 hours on it today. I need to get all the dirt moved and packed down before it rains again.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

the rain will help with the "packing" if you just get it all filled in!!!

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

My 67 is sitting in the garage collecting dust at the moment. It overheated last summer won't start. Hope to have it running by spring.

Joey Tribiani wrote:

Reply to
Bill Berckman

I waxed the edges of the glass with a candle to help with sliding it in. I'll try some other lubes before I give up on it. I have some spray on furniture wax around here somewhere.

The window regulator is new from Aircooled.net but I'm not installing it until I can slide the window up and down in the channels one handed. Right now it's a bitch to get it down and twice as tough to slide it back up.

Tony

Reply to
Anthony W

Hello Bill......if the engine isn't seized, Speedy Jim has an excellent troubleshooting "tutorial" on his site("why won't my engine start)....might be electrical and not mechanical problems.....check for spark..hope its not warped cylinders causing little or no compression....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani