Antitheft metod - Right or wrong?

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 23:52:00 -0400, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

LOL....proof positive that he male body only holds enough blood to operate one brain at a time... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

.....................That's exactly where my '77 is right now, in a locked garage. My schnauzer would start barking his ass off if anyone tried to get in there so there won't be any sleeping when and if it happens. If Muadib or Stafford would send me that 1917 model Colt that I want, they'd never get out of the driveway.

:-)

Reply to
Tim Rogers

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 00:09:44 -0400, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

and i know that is true....my scooter can be real damn loud for a 20 pound ankle biter... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Hi guys, I just had an idea for another deterant.How about pulling your hand brake out and drilling a small hole on the shaft and install a pad lock which would stop against the bracket? just an idea! Cheers! Phil Charlie Wilson wrote: : Try

or any other EMPI distributor; it is part #4457 and : sells for $55.00. I have one that was used for about six months before : switching to an incompatible aftermarket shifter; I'll let it go for $40.00.

Reply to
Philippe Gravelle

hey not bad at all, and cheap too

Jan

Reply to
Jan

I don't know if it's exactly the same as the Mann mentioned below, but a Fram 3600 works fine with the CB #1732.

"Narley Dude®" wrote:

Reply to
Charlie Wilson

Thanks Charlie!!

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

That's true. My dad had a Cosworth that was stolen in broad daylight in under 10 minutes - and that was fitted with a top of the range alarm/immobiliser/disclock.......

Reply to
Howard Rose

....................Almost as cheap as a pair of wire cutters.

..............Once again. Any kind of handbrake lock can be defeated in about five seconds by cutting the cables.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

"Tim Rogers" wrote

Everybody watch out .... Tim's outta control with those wire cutters!

:-)

Reply to
Scott H

..........................If you're a car thief who expects to need to hot wire the ignition circuit in some situations, it would be likely that you'd carry a small pair of wire cutters in your pocket. This idea that an immobilized handbrake handle would slow you down for more than a few seconds is silly...........in my opinion.

......................For carbureted engines with a stock mechanical fuel pump, I've been giving this theft deterence question some thought and the best thing that I can think of is to somehow lock the thief out of the engine compartment after disabling the engine inside that compartment like maybe a fuel line shut-off valve. If the thief can't solve that scenario after running out of gas a few hundred feet down the street without attracting attention to himself..........he'll probably give up.........of course this is no guarantee.

...............My '77 has FI which makes me wonder if I was to find a way to electrically disable the fuel pump with a hidden switch that could only be turned on with a small magnet that I could put in my pocket while it's parked in a 'risky' location...........how could the thief ever locate that switch when the magnet is removed without tearing everything apart and also, how could he hot wire a pump that's somewhat inaccessible beneath the gas tank? Even a carbureted engine that used one of those facet pumps would only run very briefly with device like that if the pump was also under the gas tank.

.............A tow truck would counteract just about anything that I've ever heard of so there's never going to be a totally foolproof way to guarantee that it can't happen.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Whew! Whatta thread!

OK, having been the victim of several car thefts, I came up with the

*only* 100% guaranteed way to insure your car never gets stolen: don't own one!

Worked for me! They can't steal what you don't own.

Next? :-)

Reply to
John Kuthe

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:32:36 -0400, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

a handbrake cable is quite a bit tougher to cut than a wire, with a "small pair of wire cutters"....it can be done in multiple chops, but most car theives won't make themselves that obvious for that long...would be difficult to cut from inside the car(as to not look too suspicious)....maybe a pair of pliers to loosen the adjuster nuts would suit them better than wire cutters if someone put a lock on thier beetle's handbrake....

Reply to
Joey Tribiani

Here ya go... weighs only 10 pounds and I'll betcha you can't get this baby off with wire cutters!

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

...................I promise you Chris, that I can sever two VW bug E-brake cables in seconds with this little 8" beauty. No kidding.

Tim Rogers

..............Those are actually pretty impressive looking..............hmmm.

.......................I wonder if you could get an insurance discount for using it. At $470 for the cheapest one with a lug guard, I'd have to wait a while until I could afford it. If I lived in northern New Jersey or some other region where car theft is a huge problem, I know I'd want one in a big way regardless of the cost.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

They seem to be quite impressive. I'd think that one should be entitled to insurance discount... it surely would help offset the cost. Still too rich for my blood. Just stumbled across it.

What do you think about Gorilla wheel locks?

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

not to angle grinder man!

Seth Graham

Goes to prove there is always a wacko ready when you need one.

Narley Dude®

Reply to
Narley Dude®

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 16:09:47 -0400, "Tim Rogers" ran around screaming and yelling:

well hell tim, you said a "small pair of cutters"...with those even a woman could cut the e-brake cables...those are not what i considered a small cutter...but anyway...if you fellow airheads are like me(and i hesitate to scare you by saying those words..hehe) there are enough tools and spare parts in the car(tune-up parts, etc) to enable someone to steal the car by the manual disablements that have been flying around...a thief would laugh at me when they replaced the rotor i pulled out with one from the "emergency kit"...i personally believe that the fuel system in addition to the ignition system being disabled is the best way to go...not locks on the steering, ebrake, brake pedal, or shifter...locks can be broken or picked...hidden security switches or even remote operated would be best...if you can't see it, it can be hard to "by-pass" quickly...food for thought...install a "normally closed" solenoid on the fuel line...would work with FI or carb engines, and plumb in a "manual bypass" for ease of bypassing the solenoid in case of failure...put it under the fuel tank to make it harder to find and deactivate...a thief may carry some wire to bypass ignition disablers, but i don't think they would carry ten a gas can and some fuel line...and if they do, they are not leaving without your car anyway...i like to make entry into the car easy....so no damage to the vehicle to gain entry, then disable the ignition...failproof? No, but better than nothing... J

Reply to
Joey Tribiani