Breakline leak

I am trying to figure out where the leak is in my break line. the only hint I get is a good bit of fluid coming out of that hole just below the linkage connection (right in front of the trany). Anybody seen this before. I opened the small metal panel under the rear seat and sure enough there is signs of fluid there. My only guess is its the line running from the T to the right rear wheel. How would that have broken. There is no way to tell for sure if that is where the leak is, I tried crawling up under but just can't see it. It does look like a bummer to replace though---am I right?

Tim

74 std. Bug
Reply to
Tim

No, that kind of leak is typically from the seal in the master cylinder. It drips out where the pushrod goes in and flows down into the small crevice in the "firewall". From there it flows into the tunnel. All of this is hidden so that's why you don't see any evidence.

Less likely is a leak where the reservoir hose connects to the top of the M/C. That can work its way thru the firewall.

If you replace the M/C, be sure to very carefully inspect the steel lines, especially where it passes under the pedal cluster.

If you don't know when they were replaced, I would change the rubber hoses to the wheel cyls; they could well be a qtr-century old!

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

[chop]

Dunno Jim! I think you missed where Tim said "(right in front of the trany)". Sounds like a brakeline leak in the steel brakeline running to the rear of the car. I had one of those recently, luckily for me in the driver's side floor area! Sounds like Tim's leak is a lot farther back, making fixing it a lot more complicated/harder.

Reply to
John Kuthe

I'm stickin' by my diagnosis . The fluid from the M/C runs down the length of the tunnel and finally drips out at the drain hole, which is just forward of the tranny. And that's why he could see the fluid in the tunnel thru the inspection plate opening.

I don't think there's any way that a leak in one of the back lines could get inside the tunnel.

Hope we hear from Tim soon... LOL Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim