Can't get rear drum back on

I'm rebuilding the brakes on 79 Super Cabrio, and I'm having trouble getting one of the rear drum's to fit back on. All new brake parts including drum and backing plate from Cal Import Parts. I have the adjusting stars in as far as they can go, the wheel cylinder is closed as far as it goes, and emergency brake cable has slack.I simply don't see any way to back the shoes off any further, and I've spent hours making sure the shoes are aligned correctly with the drum and tapping drum with hammer, but new drum just won't fit over shoes.

Anybody got any ideas or experience with this? Do I have to have the brand new drum cut down?

Thanks.

Reply to
Dan Wagener

Make sure the bevel on the star adjuster (where it touches the end of the shoe) is installed right way up. If backwards, it will push the shoe out too far.

If not that, put the wheel on the drum and rotate the drum as you push inward. If it goes on and has only a bit of drag, that will quickly wear in.

If still too tight, I'd sooner have the shoes dressed than remove any drum material.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Your shoes may be installed backward. There is a right way....and sorry I don't remember how to describe it! Check the Muir book and/or the Bentley manual.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I'll check that. I wasn't aware of this bevel, so there's a 50/50 chance I have each one on uppside down!

Thanks.

Reply to
Dan Wagener

If that doesn't check out for you, the pads on the shoes might be an "oversized" type that are aimed for vehicles that have had their drums turned.

Happened to me anyways, had a set that had never been turned and I couldn't for the life of me get the wheel back together. Being a complete mechanical moron I scratched my head over this for a while before discovering that such "oversized" shoes existed.

Due to my negligence the drums needed turned regardless, so that's how I got around it. Everything slipped back together just right.

Not reccomending turning good drums though. You can sand down the pads (wear a mask) if you're industrious, or hunt down a slimmer set of shoes.

Reply to
Seth Graham

had a similar problem with our 83 dodge van -- yeah, i know, h2o american. but i do have 5 vw's to make up for it. couldn't get the drum back on for anything. it came off just fine. the final answer was that the e-brake cable, even though i checked it, from previous experience, decide to pick this glorious time to freeze up on me.

well, lesson learned. it took me a frustrating week to find this out.

good luck

Reply to
bob