Cost of maintenance & Learning Curve Question...

hehe....come on Jan please!!!!!.....LOL

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

NO....

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

You're right of course ... but it's hard. So hard.

SCNR, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Reply to
ilambert

..............heh heh..............There's only so much that a tanning booth can do to a sow's ear. At least Mrs Shaggie looks good.......lol

timmy

Reply to
Tim Rogers

....................We need this song available as an online anthem for RAMVA. Has it been put to music? I wanna hear it!

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Not that I'm aware of. If anyone wishes to try, I wanna hear it too. (I wouldn't say no to a precentage of the earnings either, if any such thing should transpire. Well I *can* dream can't I? ;-)))

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

I always heard it this way Tim,.................

You can paint a turd Gold , But it's till a turd.

Is that the direction you were going with this statement or did I mis-read it???

LOL =-Þ

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

Tough crowd. Tough, but honest. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Nope, Nick Romano....Live fast, die young and leave a good looking corpse. Name of the movie was KNOCK ON ANY DOOR, starring Humphrey Bogart(1949). H

Reply to
Hairy

i did not get that from this thread at all....i saw good information for what the original poster may be in for....nothing wrong with being honest...real easy to say "yep, they are cheap and easy to maintain"....i have never had to pay anyone to work on any of my vehicles...so i could say that and it would be very true, for *ME*...but not for everyone....

------------------- Chris Perdue

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!"

Remove "PANTS" to e-mail

Reply to
Chris Perdue

Really? Cheap in what sense? To me, my time is important. Time is money in my book. My veedub is the only car I own that requires oil changes frequently, requires valve adjustments frequently, requires the brakes to be adjusted by me, and the list goes on. Most of the time parts can be found that ARE cheap, but remember..you get what you pay for. I've learned that the hard way, especially when it comes to a car that's 30 years old. Using a veedub as a daily driver requires a major commitment of time and effort on the part of the owner.

You can disagree all you want, but in my experience(albeit limited, only since 1995) everything Bob has said over the years I've been able to take to the bank. And I even got one of the 'whiff of reality' emails from Bob back in 96, maybe 97 if I remember right. And you know what? He told me the same thing then that he's saying now. Nothing has changed, except that it's becoming more and more difficult to find parts that aren't total crap right out of the box.

I guess it boils down to how much of a perfectionist you are. If you don't mind having to pump the brake pedal twice to get the car to stop, don't mind a leaky valve cover or sump plate, or a jittery clutch, or a sloppy front end, or a loose shifter..or any of the other multitude of things that wear out and need to be replaced..fine, make it your cheap daily driver. Until a wheel falls off or something equally catastrophic. Personally, I don't like driving a piece of crap. And keeping a volksie running good all the time TAKES a lot of time in my experience.

Chris

Reply to
Hal

Whoops ... too late. Damn.

SCNR, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Wrong dimension, see Q 9

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

Yeah....That quote has been *borrowed* by many over the years. H

Reply to
Hairy

I don't think that is what anyone meant. They are trying to say that yes it can be inexpensive and easy if you know what you are doing, but if it can also be very expensive if you don't. Not everyone into ACVW's is a cracker jack mechanic, especially on older vehicles. I beleive they just want folks to go into volks with their eyes wide open to all the possibilities. If I had not grown up on them and worked on them a lot during the past 30 years, I would be lost trying to do it myself. With time and experience it just gets easier and better to do your own repairs and maintanence on them.

Just my 2 cents

-- the Grokdoc Tom Malmevik all that groks is god

67 Baja "marti"
Reply to
Thomas Malmevik

Just spotted this one on Samba and think I'll be using it as a signature.....

LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY. BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING - "WOW----WHAT A RIDE!"

That's just too cool !!!

Susan

Bogart(1949).

Reply to
Susan S.

I personally like the food at Wendys the best of all of the fast food joints. Better fries and burgers than BK & MCD's. Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

i like wendy's and dairy queeen better than BK and micky d's....BUT...wendy's is too busy, thus too slow, for me to hit at lunchtime...now if (as usual) my lunch time hits around 2pm i do like wendy's...can get a small burger and a salad...mmmmm...