Rear Decklid Question ????

Just read a cool article in a recent VW Mag about a rear decklid mod that used hydraulic struts to hold the decklid open instead of springs. Anyone ever done this or know of a web site for doing this mod on a Type

1?

"Wild" Bill and "Blondie" Linda Tucker

President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug Resto Custom ,1776, Front Disc, T-3 Rear brakes, "Prowler Purple."

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

There's a guy around the corner from me that claims to be the inventor of such a device,..................says he sent Aircooled.net a set and never got em back or any orders for 'em or whatever,.........................I am not sure of the whole story. Anyways, that sounds real cool till you figure out that the original springs are pretty cheap, and are "lifetime" parts for the most. A bit tricky to get back in if you take 'em out , but worth the work.

'course this is not speaking to those who use standoffs for unvented decklids.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply MUADIB®

MUADIB®

I read an article about the hydraulic struts for the FRONT trunk lid. Haven't seen anything about the rear, though.

Reply to
Alan Nelson

Already did the front bonnet with hydros and it works great. Just looking for something different to put on the rear decklid that already has stand offs. The que stick works but one day I'll knock it loose and instant head wound! :(

"Wild" Bill and "Blondie" Linda Tucker

President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug Resto Custom ,1776, Front Disc, T-3 Rear brakes, "Prowler Purple."

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

Both seem to me like an answer in search for a question. Volkswagen's spring-opened decklids are about the most clever thing I've ever seen in that area. They're cheap, sturdy, maintenance-free, and above all they're there already (except for pre-'62s IIRC), so why should anyone wish to repalce them with something expensive and prone to wear?

Airhowlingly yours, Erik.

Reply to
Erik Meltzer

Erik, The spring will not fit if you have a standoff assembly on the deck lid. No I don't want to remove the stand offs. Yes I know the original equipment works fine. Yes I want to customize the rear deck lid so that it will remain up when I open it. Just curious if anyone had any ideas or has seen it done, or knows of a web page. Thanks,

"Wild" Bill and "Blondie" Linda Tucker

President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug Resto Custom ,1776, Front Disc, T-3 Rear brakes, "Prowler Purple."

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

Wolfgang International

sells a product called the "Hoodlum", it's about $20.00 and allows you to use the original hood spring with stand-offs.

Reply to
Charlie Wilson

How about something like this instead of the standoff?

It keeps the bottom of the lid open, can be removed quickly, doesn't change the hinge at all.

Reply to
jjs

Thanks for the input. I appreciate the links and pix. Thats what makes this a great Forum. :)