Cylinder Cover Tin-Chrome

I am in the process of putting all tin including thermostat flaps on my Mexi Longblock. I had inherited chrome cylinder covers that were in good shape(a little rusty) and painted them black. Some writers here say that chrome is NOT good because it retains the heat. Will they still do that if painted black?? Are they OK to use. Will they behave thermodynamically in the same manner as unchromed tin?? Any materials scientists out there?? Eric 62 Ghia cab 68 bug cab

Reply to
Stutzsr

Eric, the main problem with the "chrome" out there is not the fact that it is chrome...the aftermarket cylinder covers lack a set of air deflectors that the factory tin has to help direct cooling air to the heads...original german is by far the best choice, but there are many who have and do run the chrome cylinder covers with success....

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue

Reply to
Ben Boyle

On 30 Dec 2003 15:05:55 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comPANTS (Chris Perdue) scribbled this interesting note:

More to the point of the original question is the fact that if the part does not come into contact with the oil in the engine then it should be ok to use with respect to heat.

There are many articles on this subject at:

Search and be amazed!:~)

John Willis