Cylinder gaskets: Missing, or Not Required -- You be the judge.

YOU are the best, possibly the ONLY, the most honest and definitely the most affordable mechanic for YOUR aircooled VW today. If YOU can't perform normal maintenance and small repairs, you should not own an aircooled VW. (Alternatively, you need deep pockets lined with money, and a friendly, KNOWLEDGEABLE aircooled VW specialized shop nearby.. which are getting hard to find. Most are just there to steal your money and do poor quality work.. as witnessed by your current engine there)

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Shhh!

Don't reveal everything at once!

Jan

Reply to
Jan

Sounds to me that he is doing just fine. At least Mike has good = questions=20 and seems that he is not afraid to experiment and learn with his engine. Soon he'll be giving advice here to us.

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Sounds to me that he is doing just fine. At least Mike has good questions and seems that he is not afraid to experiment and learn with his engine. Soon he'll be giving advice here to us.

...............I'm already trying to be a Buddhist.

LOL

Reply to
Tim Rogers

[snip

Yes, this engine is a mess. Even got a couple broken fins on one of the cylinders. I paid a very low price for the bus, don't mind doing the work on it myself (my father would be proud, he restored a couple MG's), and am having fun. But the poor previous owner got totally ripped by the guys that did the engine.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

You're a great bunch of guys, and your help has been generously given. My thanks to everyone.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Then my work here is done.

"Hey -- who was that guy with the shaved head?"

"I don't know. All he left behind was nothing."

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Have you ever been to a sauna, Mike?

Reply to
Olli Lammi

Excellent! Now if we could sell Bill control-alt-delete Gates a Linux box...

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

I have. At least what local gyms, hotel spas, and resort spas call a sauna.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

Actually, buying an old VW these days should be done with the expectation of completely rebuilding the engine. When I got my winter Baja I purposely looked for one that didn't even have an engine. Cheaper that way.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Reply to
Braukuche

You know Bob, one of the reasons I turn on (the computer) every day is because I might get to read one of your posts. Sometimes it something I already know. But it's always entertaining. Thanks.

BTW, is an expert a former spurt? Hmm.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

Is it junk before or after you work on it?

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

I have many times. Don't want to beat the horse to death. VW Paradise in San Marcos, California.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

But not when the vehicle comes with an invoice from a local VW shop showing that they installed a new engine 3,000 miles ago on the odo. See my new post "Amazing Error."

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot
[snip]

"Engineers . . . engineers . . . nope, doesn't ring a bell. Ask the Marketing department if they know what that means."

Just kidding. I'm an electrical engineer myself.

Reply to
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliot

That's a bit absolute, if I had to work on my cars exclusively I wouldn't be able to own them. With stuff like our VWs, even my Citroen, you can always find some old school mechanic who only likes to work on "old cars" who can get their way through. The guy I use most of the time charges $25 an hour and can get things done way faster than I could. I suppose that if I was the only mechanic for my car it would have all come crashing down in the Fall of

2001 when my original engine self destructed. There is absolutely no way I could ever pull my engine and put it back in again. When it was time to replace the engine I replaced virtually everything to ensure that I could have as bulletproof an engine as possible. I had a Pertronix Ignitor put in, to get rid of that maintenance and I also have a Mexican hydraulic lifter 1600 engine. The car isn't going to win any performance contests but is a solid engine and requires little maintenance compared to the VWs of old. The trick is to not place yourself in a position where if you old VW dies that everything crashes to a halt. If my Beetle broke and I couldn't fix it for months it would not be the end of the world. It's not practical to have it for daily use anyway between the winter weather and the need to mail order virtually all parts.

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Tell me Mikey, have you ever been to a Turkish prison?

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?