Door crater

I have a 1960 Beetle with a driver's side door that has a crater in it. What year Beetles could I take a door from to replace it? I've heard I could use an older one and cut a hole for the back end of the handle. I've heard anything up to 1967 would do the trick. I can't seem to figure this out without trial and error. Anybody know the right answer?

Thanks, Shane

Reply to
Shane

The main differences will be the window regulator and the door catch rod that connects to the A-pillar. Easier to find an early 60s door, especially if your door catch rod is flat, no round. No later than '64 as the windows bloated in '65.

Reply to
Lantrip

I just checked out

and saw a little piece in there about doors. Looks like 60 through 64 are the same. I am willing to gut my door to build a new one provided the outer skin is good. Now all I have to do is find a donor door. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Shane

Reply to
Shane

Why not just replace the bad portion of the door skin on the one you have? That is a fairly straightforward body shop repair.

-

Jim Adney

Because door repair panels as cheap as I could find them would be about $125 plus labor. And welders ain't cheap. I was hoping to find a door cheaper than that.

Reply to
Shane