Emergency brake cables

Last month I replaced the left emergency brake cable on my 1974 Super Beetle. The new cable went right in and through the tunnel. Today I tried to replace the right cable but the threaded end will not go all the way up the tube. I tried greasing the cable and tube but the threaded end hits the tunnel and won't go any further. I had to put the damaged original cable back in. If anyone has been able to replace the right cable let me know what you did. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the tube or tunnel.

Thank you

Reply to
azazel scratch

Leopold Stotch

they don't work like that. They go in the same way they come out. You cannot pull one through the "wrong" way.

Jan

Reply to
Jan

How far does it go up the tube? Have you tried inserting it from the other end to see how far it goes in that way? I usually have to clean out the heater cable tubes that have rust and debris in them but I don't think that I have ever had to clean out a T1 handbrake cable tube. Did you notice any rust on the thread end of the new cable?

Keep at it and you will succeed!

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Fellow air-cooled drivers,

Thanks to all who responded. I was able to get the new cable all the way through today. When the threaded end became stuck in the tube I tapped the end with a screwdriver and it went farther and farther until it entered the tunnel. I now have two new emergency brake cables to go along with new brake shoes and a new master cylinder.

Thanks again

Reply to
azazel scratch