Evap Canister?!

Hey guys. I'm disassembling my 73 beetle to be painted. Under the right rear fender, there is what I think is the evaporative canister. The hoses to it are falling apart, and I'm losing cooling air through the one that comes from the fan shroud becuase it keeps falling off. Can I rip this whole stupid thing out of the car? I really don't think it's serving it's purpose anymore...what should I do with the small hose from the seperator and the fuel tank that carries the fumes? What about other hoses? Suggestions? Thanks!

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

The vapor canister is very important; it is the sole means for venting the fuel tank. If you block off the small hose, the fuel pump will suck the tank inward. (really)

Put some new hoses on and you're done...

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

You're probably right that this system is no longer functioning. You can safely remove it IF you provide an opening for the tank to take in air as it uses up gas. If you don't the pressure differential can crush your gas tank.

I have found that the steel tubes that VW used for this system get clogged by rust on the inside within about 10-15 years, so you will need to lead the vent hose to the outside by some plumbing that YOU KNOW IS OPEN.

Don't just let this vent into the trunk, and don't vent it into the wheel well. You need to feed a hose thru the trunk to the front axle area somewhere. Use hose that is compatable with gasoline.

-

Jim Adney

Hiya Anthony,

Both Jims are somewhat correct...............Here's how it goes with the E-Can (emissions canister).........

Speedy suggested replacing the hoses to the E-Can so as to insure that your tank is vented properly. Good advice. However, you will need to check the E-Can itself, otherwise all that work with the hoses is for naught. Here's what to do.........remove the E-Can from the car. Plugging the small tube at one end (stick your finger over it) blow through the larger opening (doesn't matter which end). If the E-Can is still in serviceable shape you should be able to blow through it easily. If not you either need a new E-Can or you need to refill the one you have (but that's another letter!). Jim Adney is espousing the conversion to an emissions system which was used world-wide in the late sixties and early seventies, but not in the US. Whoa! Which makes me think..........if you are in California with their rather strict pollution regulations do NOT go this route. Basically, all you need to do to follow this Jim's advice is to disconnect all tubing leading back to the E-Can from the gas tank. Plug where appropriate. Also disconnect forced air hoses from the cooling shroud and to the air filter. Again, plug where appropriate. Back up front, connect a gas resistant hose to the nipple which used to provide the lead back to the E-Can. Run that hose up (needs to be higher than the tank) under the radio and over to the right side (as you look from the front of the car) of the gas tank. As you look at the front right corner of the tank you will see (just below and to the front of the tank) a hole in the body sheet metal. Your hose should run through that hole and terminate about six inches below the hole. Personally, I'm with Speedy on this one, although both systems will work. You gain a big advantage to having a working Emissions Canister system (the M 26 option) in that it ACTIVELY scavenges loose hydrocarbons. A big plus since these little guys are known cancer causers. But you have the info - you decide.

Reply to
Bookwus1

.......................I've never tried to replace the activated charcoal in an evaporation cannister. But if anyone wants to try it, 1/2 gallon cartons of activated charcoal are commonly sold at tropical fish & aquarium supply businesses.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Hey guys. Thanks for the advice. I do not live in California, but possibly will in the semi-near future (two or three years) and plan to still have my Beetle. I guess that means I should probably try to restore the system to orriginal operation. However, the small plastic hose that carries fumes from the tank to the e-can looks just about like it's been chewed by my cat...(don't think it WAS the cat...) Suggestions for replacement? As for the E-can itself, I looks ok, just covered with crud. Thanks again for the help! Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I agree that if you live in CA this might make your car not pass its next inspection, since you would have removed an original piece of emissions equipment. I hope no one believes that I made this suggestion with the understanding that it would make this car pollute more. Unfortunately, it won't make any difference, since the charcoal cannister has long since stopped functioning. These were meant to be replaced every 25-30k miles, but almost none of them ever were. In addition the cases they are in all leak now. And, to top it off, the metal tubes leading to them all became blocked by rust in the ID about

20 years ago.

The evaporative emmision control system was introduced in all VW with the 70 cars.

I'd love to see him keep it working, but I just don't know if that's even possible. He would have to replace the charcoal cannister as well as ALL the steel tubing. Later cars use plastic tubing in places, so these will be fine. The rubber hose can be kept, unless it has cracked. I seriously doubt whether the charcoal cannisters are still available from VW. Does anyone know? If so, what do they cost?

-

Jim Adney

Interesting thought. I didn't know that. I've opened up the VW charcoal cannisters and they can be opened and reclosed. The charcoal in them is in granules about 1/8" across. Does this sound similar?

-

Jim Adney

There are actually 2 cans. The first is just a gasoline overflow catch tank (has 2 identical, small hose nipples), and the second it the charcoal can (2 large nipples, 1 small nipple.) Where are these in beetles? Is the first one in the LF fender and the second in the LR fender?

The long tube that goes from front to back will be the problem one. I have several of the ~3' long plastic tubes from type 3s that are available if that's what you need.

-

Jim Adney

.....................That seems about right. You'd need to rinse the powdered part away with some tap water. That's what you do before using it in an aquarium pump/filter.

Reply to
Tim Rogers

Hiya Jim,

First off, your suggestion to convert AWAY from using the E-Can was a sound one. As I mentioned in my first post, the entire world (except North America) used that same system for venting loose hydrocarbons. And you are dead on with your comment about the "lifespan" of one of these E-Cans. 30,000 was the official VW service limit for these things.

But I will take exception to your next statement that all VWs (NA imports) starting in 1970 came equipped with the M26 evaporative system. I have an NA import 1970 AutoStick Bug. It does not have, nor did it ever have the M26 system installed. And I have found a number of other 1970 NA import AS equipped Bugs also without the M26. It's looking right now as if (and I can't be positively sure because my numbers are still small) that all VWs bound for California in 1970 had the M26 system. Those AS equipped Bugs going to non-California states did not have the M26. If this is the actual case, it flies in the face of authorities such as Garwood and Bentley.

Back to the E-Cans. Original part number was 113 201 801A. It is now superceeded to 175 201 801A. Still available from your local VW dealer, he'll have to order ot out from the regional warehouse. Cost varies with dealers but will be in the neighborhood of $65.00US. Don't order it though. It's now plastic and a completely different shape. With a lot of adaptation and cursing one might get it to fit under the right rear fender. MIGHT.

I found it a lot easier (and cheaper) to "tap" and old E-Can and refill it. Be absolutely sure use only pelletized charcoal in the can. Buy it at a local aquarium shop for about $5.00US a half gallon. You'll need slightly more than a half gallon. I've got details if you want to go that route.

Mike

1970 AS Bug
Reply to
Bookwus1

Okay, I couldn't remember whether it was 25k or 30k.

VIrtually all of my experience is with type 3s. All US type 3s came with the M26 system. I ASSUMED that this was across the board, since moves like this were usually motivated by the EPA. I'm honestly surprised that there were non-M26 type 1s let in, but I'll accept your word on it.

The charcoal can had turned to plastic before the end of type 3 production in 73. The plastic ones are the ones I was thinking would be easier to refill.

This is interesting, and I'm glad to learn of this option, but the fact that the steel vapor tubes are all rusted completely shut by now makes this either moot, or a really big job to replace all the tubing at the same time.

I like to keep my old VWs as environmentally sound as possible, but this is one of those cases where I have just allowed myself to fall back to the earlier configuration.

At least we all seem to agree on the importance of making sure that the tank gets a route to admit air. ;-)

-

Jim Adney