Fuel filter location 78 FI 2L van?

Wow, I've got Bentley, Haynes and Muir books, did an advanced Google, and still can't find it. Haynes has got a pic of filter and pump but I can't tell where it was taken from.

Sorry to be such a klutz.

Thanks,

Bobby

Reply to
Bob Johnson

It's hard to locate. Left side, frame rail, just forward of the engine.

Anticipate some fuel spillage. Don't work inside your garage and don't use an incandescent trouble light.

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

Drivers side rear wheel area. Block the wheels and set the E brake . Crawl under the van (sets up so high you don't need no stinking jack!! ). Along the frame you will see a silver cylinder mounted with rubber supports, rubber fuel hoses and electric wires running to it...Thats the fuel pump , the filter should be mounted on the suction side (marked with a flow direction arrow) of the fuel pump just upstream in the fuel hose itself.

"Wild" Bill Tucker and Linda President and First Lady Rare Air VW Club Pensacola, FLorida

'78 VW Bus ( "Old Rusty" )

'76 Bug Resto Custom ,1776, Front Disc, T-3 Rear breaks, roll bar, "Prowler Purple." SOON !!

'69 Squareback , Arizona car, Automatic, "Blondies' Car"

'67 Squareback ( Some Assembly Required ! )

Rare Air VW Club Website:

or

Wild Bill

Speedy told you the location. You reach it lying underneath. Be sure to have two fuel line clamps before you start! The plastic ones are great and don't cost much - plus if you keep the van you'll need 'em again and again! They also help to pull the lines off of the old filter and give you leverage to slide them onto the new filter. The filter itself has a larger inlet than outlet (significantly!) and it's usually square in shape. If you use the clamps right there at the filter, you'll spill about a half cup or less of gasoline. Wear some good eye protection too!

advanced Google,

and pump but I

Reply to
Busahaulic

DRIVER'S side, my word!

Thanks everyone, you're the best.

Bobby

Bob Johns>

Reply to
Bob Johnson

You have it backwards:) The filter inlet is 7.5mm. It is before the pump. The filter outlet is 10mm, same as the pump inlet.

Reply to
Karl

Uh - Who - Me? Wrong? I musta been looking at it from the other side! It only goes one way, so no harm done this time! (Unless he ran all new gas lines to make it work the way Busahaulic says!) Thanks for the correction!

filter outlet is 10mm, same as the pump inlet.

message

news:7bb_b.73304$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.n et...

underneath.

The