Fuel Line Question

I have a 1969 Beetle Chassis with a Fiberglass Kit Car on top. The kit is a CMC 1929 Mercedes. Last night I found a fuel leak in the fuel line exiting the tube and going to the engine. I was a piece of 1/4" copper tubing with a pinched section and it was dripping fuel. I removed the tubing and pluged the line with a screwdriver to stop the leak. I want to replace the fuel line from the tube to the fuel pump. Question. Is it better to run a soft fuel line from the tube to the fuel pump or use a solid fuel line(copper tube) and have a rubber piece at each end?

Reply to
craig

I would prefer steel brake lines, but copper can work for awhile. Steel lines in areas that don't move/shift/flex and good VW hose in areas that would cause flexing. ;-) Secure those lines too so they don't vibrate.

Just me but I have had my '72 Bradley GT catch fire near the engine and fuel tank due to new but inferior hoses. No main damage just some wiring issues and I lost a jacket beating out the flames. Made me rewire the whole car to get rid of that spaghetti look and install a new set of gauges in a custom console.\ JCWhitney was my friend back then and they were still in Chicago.

Be careful!!!!! 8^)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

For my kit cars (2), I run a 3/8" aluminum fuel line under the outer lip of the chassis edge where it is protected, and further more I have the aluminum fuel line inside a larger fuel composite (fuel) line for additional protection. (Install the aluminum line, then slit an outer fuel line and slip it over as you go, securing it to the chassis with cable stays.

Aluminum fuel line is especially ductile - made for bending without kinking. Good stuff.

Reply to
John

I was thinking of using that for my still.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

I used aluminum on the F-2 cars I am building, but they are not for street use and will have fluid flushes often. They stopped using copper in the 30s as it will work harden and crack. In any case I would not just put a hose over the end of a tube without putting in a mild bubble flare or a full barrel flare to retain the hose. For a steet car I would use this new alloy,

Stupendous Man

You build it and we will all be there to test the product.

Reply to
John

You are right. I forgot to mention that I put a flare on it. It's not a good idea to clamp a hose onto a straight metal tube. And debur, too. It gives me shivers to think of fuel leaks in a fiberglass car.

Reply to
John

Actually they show up at some of the farm auctions down here from time to time. As I don't drink I would probably be just experimenting with some alternate fuel stuff.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres

Russian vodka is already cheaper than gas. They would export it if they already didn't use so much of it to purge their body. Daily.

Reply to
John

I'm thinking wood alcohol and or some type of alcohol based off of available grains and/or grasses. Have to but my biochemist hat on and experiment.

Randy

Reply to
rjmacres